The people who write fake Amazon reviews

Ahh, nihilism

3 Likes

It’s not a question of whether, but rather, when.

Does anyone else use fakespot? I think it does a pretty good job of identifying bogus reviews. https://www.fakespot.com/

12 Likes

I just don’t seem to be able to find the energy to be apathetic any more.

4 Likes

I don’t know if one need even speculate about that.
Amazon now has its meaningless but enticing “Amazon’s Choice” badges that are pointlessly arbitrary, as in “Amazon’s ‘Choice’ for things with this exact product name.” Amazon wants you to buy what it says. (Or is linked to by some affiliate.)

1 Like

Oh, I get it. . . sarcasm, that’s helpful.

4 Likes

I use it for every Amazon purchase I make. I’m so thankful for that site.

2 Likes

lolno laws are only applicable if they’re enforced. if you look at pretty much any advertisement, it is chock full of lies. i would venture so far to say that 98.5% of all lies are advertisements.

3 Likes

Some of it is Amazon badly migrating old reviews to new products or badly grouping multiple products together on the same page even though reviews for one aren’t relevant to another.

But there also seem to be sellers who have figured out how to find pages for dead products with really good reviews and then somehow take over the page so that their completely different products will appear at a glance to have a long history of great reviews (although that illusion crumbles when you look and see that the reviews for the iPhone headphone dongle you want to buy are all talking about wetsuits and measuring spoons and dry erase calendars).

6 Likes

I ignore the top reviews on any product. I check out the worst ones, then decide if I can live with the problems mentioned therein.

Of course, I mentally filter obvious trolls, and reviewers who are angry for the wrong reasons (they bought the wrong product, shipping was a day late, etc).

I look for repeated issues, like “flimsy” or “broke quickly” or “caused my printer to fail”, and give those more credence.

6 Likes

Hm, unusual, it’s a review of an apartment at Trump Tower.

And the rest are Trump tweets.

3 Likes

This has happened to me. I have to watch my product catalog, because it’s common. I think it comes from companies waaaaay up the line reselling UPCs that have already been assigned to other products.

I don’t know either.

A few weeks ago I was looking for iPhone Lightning-headphone adapters and came across something like a dozen different product listings that all had hundreds (or even thousands) of completely unrelated reviews. Several of them have been taken down or had the unrelated reviews stripped from their pages, but there are still some out there:

http://amzn.com/B07P2HLNCG (most reviews seem to relate to some sort of USB dongle called a FLIRC)
http://amzn.com/B07NK874P4 (most reviews seem to relate to an iPad case)
http://amzn.com/B07NYWNGSF (most reviews seem to relate to a clothing steamer or hangers)

5 Likes

That’s not the word I would have picked, but hey whatever floats your boat.

2 Likes

Yup, a backpack we sell was converted to a showerhead. All the reviews and questions on the listing were for the backpack. I contacted Amazon and they fixed the problem right away, but I have a feeling it will just happen over and over again.

5 Likes

BoinBoin is the best blog I have ever used, within seconds of first appling BoiBoi my coincipation cleared up and my face was brighter than a bright thing in the sky behind the moon but still bright enough to shine through the moon! % stars- shit, I did that wrong. 5 stairs! Staairs to heaven. I’m buying one of those next. Check here for erview.

9 Likes

Yes, there’s great stuff there – reviews of books on OCD saying things like “This book has really helped my condition. I’m currently rereading it for the 343rd time…”.

2 Likes

Wenn looking at the ratings on Amazon, I cut away the five star reviews (written by the sellers) and the one star reviews (written by competition).

I then look at the remaining reviews/ratings and use this to judge the product and use it for my decision whether to purchase or not.

2 Likes