The people who write fake Amazon reviews

tbl

1 Like

The more insidious scam is when fake 5 star reviews for your products suddenly appear on Amazon. They’ll just as mysteriously vanish and you’ll think that was weird…

Then a week or so later your competitor will complain to Amazon and accuse you of buying fake reviews complete with all the evidence they need to hang you… Which they happen to have because they were ones buying the reviews and the “evidence” to frame you with.

3 Likes

I’ve gone back to buying batteries at the grocery store.

4 Likes

Or leave reviews that say “package came damaged, so 1 star!”

Don’t rule out “we did it because we could”!

Roger What?

2 Likes

I have a bookmarklet for it. It also works for Yelp reviews.

The fact Amazon hasn’t bought them yet, even though it would just take the loose change stuck in Jeff Bezos’ couch, tells me Amazon doesn’t really care about the fake review problem as it brings them the sale anyways. They will only get serious when people stop shopping there because it’s become as untrustworthy as eBay, but by then it will be too late to stop their downward spiral. At that point, Amazon will have become the AWS company.

1 Like

I go here:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/

They guarantee what they sell, and have only run into one snag in product returns for the 15+ years I have been going to their bricks-and-mortar store.

If you have a business, start a business account with them. They will discount some of their prices of some stuff. There’s no fee to sign up.

Do they have the super-ultra-cheapest prices on earth? No.

Do they know batteries? Hell yeah.

Do they coach me on how to get the most out of expensive rechargeable batteries? Yes.

Have they warned me of pitfalls, educated me, gotten me to stop my bad practices re batteries? Oh yes.

Have they saved me money in the long run? Definitely yes.

I need Batteries Plus [Bulbs] to keep their physical store(s) in Austin. Our smartphones, lawn mower, every dang powered gadget in our hogan needs batteries, and sometimes we need batteries immediately. I am happy to give them my money. (Disclosure: I do not benefit from my plugging Batteries Plus here–financial or otherwise. I just go there a lot and am interested in the physical store’s longevity.)

3 Likes

Batteries Plus is great too. But I only go once in a while.

1 Like

The worst is when they list completely different products under “size” and “style”. Today I happened upon this:

Shark jumping imminent.

1 Like

I love those, it always gives me a laugh.

“Amazon declined to detail the process behind Amazon’s Choice, including whether its picks are driven by software or humans,”

Definitely an algorithm at play…and an opportunity other companies are missing. Can’t wait to buy the "Used Car Salesman’s Choice for ‘Car’ " at my local dealership. I’m sure it will be chosen based on its benefit to me, the customer, and not based on the profit the salesman will make :thinking:

Another weird one:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.