The platforms control our public discourse, and who they disconnect is arbitrary and capricious

Since the post you referenced is still up and visible, it seems very unlikely that it’s the actual comment which earned you a time out, especially since it’s the mods usual MO to delete the offending content.

That said, I can see why that particular comment got the negative pushback that it did from other members in that thread.

Long story short; by becoming members here we all agreed that the folks who run this site can delete whatever content they want at their own discretion; complaining when it actually happens is rather futile.

5 Likes

I never delete comments except in cases of double-posting or similar technical issue. Apparently Corey doesn’t either.

I agree that I didn’t word that comment as precisely as I should have, but the intent should still be apparent: Even if you are a disadvantaged group you gotta put in the effort to get ahead. The sins of the past are not a golden brick road to the future.

This is apparently a case of blaming the victim.

I wasn’t talking about members deleting their own comments; I’m talking about the mods deciding what content is or is not allowed to remain.

Cory and his habits aren’t the topic at hand; I was addressing the claims of ‘censorship’ that are being implied or stated outright.

ETA to address stealth edit;

When one makes glib assessments that fail to take into account all the prevalent factors which contribute to any negative condition of being, yes… that is what it seems to amount to, and yes - victim blaming is frowned upon by the mods here.

4 Likes

I mean he didn’t delete my post. This makes sense as it was a major focus of the remaining comment chain and would have left a big gap in the conversation if deleted.

Full disclosure, in the days preceding that commend an off-the-cuff comment I made was taken as an attack on an author instead of the company they worked for and likely put me on semi-secret probation. Someone else making that comment may not have suffered the same consequences.

Corey’s not a moderator.

From what I’ve seen, if the actual mods suspend a commenter, they also delete the comments that got them suspended.

4 Likes

That’s all I was trying to say; though not very efficiently, it seems.

4 Likes

You are making me did through ancient message here. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the “infinite scroll” system of doing history on websites?

Looks like the action was initiated by Rob Beschizza, not Corey.

Edit: Further digging through my mail shows my memory was faulty. The system does not indicate who banned you, but I had sent email to Rob asking him about it.

My memory of the ban reason was also wrong (it was a few years ago, sorry guys), according to Rob: The moderator suspended you for the remarks about black people.

So it was the specific example in my post that got me banned.

Whatever.

You’re still not making a convincing case that whatever it was you wrote got you unjustly suspended.

3 Likes

I’m fine with that, I just want a clear record.

I was banned for many months for a post that is still visible on the site.

Better than the SA forums where I got permabanned because someone made up an outrageous lie and the moderators (apparently having a bad day) believed it. Sadly they never responded to my emails asking for details so I never got a full story.

One thing I wish this forum had was a This user was banned for this post. I don’t like the idea of moderators deleting posts unless they’re outright spam. Transparency is important in moderation.

2 Likes

I doubt it. I’ve never seen mods suspend a regular here for just one comment. It’s always for an extended instance of obnoxious behavior, or for a repeated pattern of it.

4 Likes

This side-conversation is offtopic to the post. However:

We’re not going to 1) leave offensive posts up solely to create a record, nor are we interested in 2) creating “badges of honour” or showpieces for those who violate our guidelines to reference.

If someone cannot abide by the rules of civil discourse, we owe them nothing.

6 Likes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You’re entitled to your insupportable opinion, as am I.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.