The price of corn has doubled since last year

I was passing a local farm a few days ago, and they had a big sign up “Nothing for sale!”, so I guess they were getting pestered.

3 Likes

Haha, I no longer go knocking on random farmhouse doors! One farmer in the state set up a state-wide farm drop site, so we can order online on one site from a bunch of farms, then go pick the stuff up Fridays between 3 - 7, all bagged up and set out in the barn.
It’s pretty great. And they have a good dawg who’s always there to greet us during pick up. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This farm is off what is now a busy road, so if even a tiny fraction of the cars pull in, “just checking”, that’s a lot of cars!

“They were so grouchy!”, said the occupants of the 142nd car of the day.

2 Likes

Agreed, farmers know things. They are also bitterly divided between mega agro business playing a massive global game and local small time outfits that grow for the local folks.

With the drought here in CA growing organic wheat can’t be done without very very expensive irrigation bills. And local almond farmers are greedily using up ground water. Look at the mess in Klamath up north!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.