The problem with 'Genie, You're Free'

I think this scene from What Dreams May Come is a far better meme to be spreading, where suicide is concerned.

5 Likes

I don’t think it glorifies anything. If that tweet pushes you off the edge, then you were too close to begin with. Let’s have people take some personal responsibility for their actions and not wring our hands over a tweet of someone coping with the death of a person who touched their lives.

If I never hear the term “trigger word” again, it will be too soon.

5 Likes

Or this one, maybe? This was one of the images people have been taking of the Good Will Hunting bench up in Boston.

4 Likes

Part of the problem is that death is ‘euphemized’ and glorified a lot, in many contexts beyond suicide. How many times do we hear that someone has ''gone to a better place", is ‘‘another angel in the sky’’, or even ‘‘godspeed’’ (as if the person has gone on an exciting new journey)?

It’s true that since copycat suicides seem to be an actual phenomenon, we should be careful about it. But at the same time, it’s a bit problematic to widely allow- and expect- such flowery terms of relief for some deaths but not to suicides. It seems to perpetuate a form of stigma towards suicides; like their pain is not as acute as, say, a terminally ill patient who has “stopped suffering”, or the belief that suicides actually go to Hell (in many religious views); that their death is shameful and somewhat immoral.

9 Likes

Should people who have cancer take personal responsibility and not bitch if they are terminal? Or people who have HIV? Depression is an illness, one that some can’t control and as others have pointed out, there have been studies on copycat suicides that have shown this sort of language around suicide is not helpful.

I think you can disagree that the tweet was gloryfying suicide, but others disagree. Why shouldn’t we talk about that if we think it’s an issue?

4 Likes

I agree though mostly because people like to say and do that for kicks and to feel important, just be cool and remember that some people can be set off, who really don’t want to die. Being smart with how we treat each other will save more lives than almost any possible form of gun control.
It is feels a little crazy and sad that we have to watch ourselves like this, but it is how we are built, even winners in the game of life, astronauts like Buzz Aldrin have suffered so lets not be too harsh.

3 Likes

Of course, from some religious/spiritual perspectives he is free. What if the tweet is a sincere expression of religious belief rather than mere sentimentality?

That excuse worked for Hobby Lobby.

2 Likes

I thought this was a good response from Buzzfeed:

1 Like

When writing the SOPs for one EMS system I codified the death notification, with the support of our supervising physician and be in line with his hospital, to be present tense and use the word dead ie “Your husband is dead” it makes the situation clear and is merciful to both the family and the notifier.
Flowery descriptives make the job only slightly easier on the notifier while often confusing and giving false hope the the survivors.

2 Likes

You may not think it glorifies anything but you are not, unless I am mistaken, the spokesperson for all people with suicidal ideation, or the scientists/therapists who study this problem. If this were simply about offense, I’d be there with you. On the internet battlefield. Telling people I don’t know to chill.
However, this is not that. This isn’t about trying not to offend anyone who might’ve suffered.
I can only assume you haven’t stood on the precipice people can be pulled back from.

A more important thought I should’ve attached to my original reply is:

Don’t you think you’re getting a little butthurt over the criticism of a response to someone’s death (who, presumably you didn’t know?)?

7 Likes

I just hope that if I ever came to the conclusion I needed to “check out”, that I wouldn’t be strapped down to a psych ward bed and forced to “live” just because someone else doesn’t like my choice. That’s my personal idea of hell.

8 Likes

A minority option, though. Most major religions make it quite clear that killing yourself has all sorts of bad repercussions on whatever other side they believe in.

2 Likes

Expressing empathy isn’t a “get-out-of-jail-free” card that makes whatever you say right. I absolutely walk on eggshells with talking with the grieving, because they’re so vulnerable and raw and can be hurt by a well meant but ill-considered comment. I don’t find the effort silly. I’d much rather not hurt somebody, then hurt somebody and then justify it to myself.

8 Likes

I am not a dog. My life is my own, to do with WHAT I WILL.

Maybe there ARE things worse than death. Maybe YOU don’t have any say in someone else’s decision on whether or not THEIR life is worth living TO THEM.

Maybe the world’s already been made shitty enough that there IS no real future for some and rather than live shittily they just want to draw a line somewhere. “THIS,” they say, “and no further. NO MORE of this shall I put up with.” It’s NOT for YOU to decide.

5 Likes

I live in chronic pain and was seeing a psychiatrist and being medicated for depression until I lost my medical coverage and I own guns. I am your future suicide statistic.

I don’t believe in censoring others because it might make me feel worse. I certainly wouldn’t tell someone coping with someone’s death that they are doing it “wrong” and bringing me further down. And if I were worried about copy cats, I wouldn’t lay blame on someone trying to deal with the aftermath of a suicide, I’d put it on the one who original did it and the person who thought they had the right idea and carried through with it.

Now perhaps you can find an example where I would agree that they are only making things worse, but this three word tweet isn’t one.

So yeah - feel free to talk about it. I’ll talk about how I find it ridiculous.

6 Likes

When we’ve gotten to the point where using quotes from Aladdin counts as a ‘trigger warning’ that might cause someone to hurt themselves, yes, it’s silly.

And I’m saying that as someone with clinical depression who’s been in suicide therapy.

4 Likes

Talking about suicide in a certain way might be harmful, but so is restraining speech. I would never tell an artist that they shouldn’t say what they want to say in the way they want to say it.

Good art often agitates intentionally.

4 Likes

I’m sorry about that. I hope that you are doing okay…

But no one was calling for the academy to be censored, it was being pointed out as problematic. Pointing out that something is problematic and asking for some forethought before people say something publicly is not censorship, it’s public dialogue.

3 Likes

This was a movie a lot of us loved as children. For whatever reason, Disney movies have a lot of impact on a lot of people. For those people, the freeing of Genie was a moving moment, a strong emotion felt as a child.

The comment connects that moment with suicide, draws a parallel.

Of course that could push somebody close to the edge past. Taking a joyous moment from childhood and equating it with suicide. We know this happens. This isn’t a hypothetical, we know that media treatment of famous suicides does change the suicide rate.

If you feel its the suicides fault, or that it’s too big a burden to ask people to control how they talk about a topic, or whatever, that’s fine. But there’s a real chance this will push somebody or multiple people to suicide, and I just can’t see that as silly.

4 Likes