The promises and problems of Mastodon, a Twitter alternative

It can be done without having to make money from it. Diaspora was software that anyone could run on their own machine. This allowed people to create accounts and connect to other people on the system without any need for a big monolithic central entity to keep it all going.

It can be done but it won’t, not on any large scale.

Diaspora is not what I would cite as a success since it has largely failed.

Who said it was a success? I certainly didn’t. I was hopeful that it would be successful. Anyhow, the idea is still there. This Mastodon is another decentralized effort, so we shall see.

You mentioned how Diaspora worked but it was basically a failure. Running services is work and costs money and free efforts either sell their members or fail.

I think there’s a lot of reasons why things become adopted by the masses and why other things don’t.

Facebook was early on the scene, took all the thunder away from myspace, it was well established and has a gigantic marketing budget.

Disapora on the other hand came about a few years too late and had no marketing budget.

It does still exist today, and there’s no engineering reason why it wouldn’t be able to handle as many people as Facebook.

And here you have this Mastodon, which is basically the same idea, but a replacement for Twitter. It looks like they’re getting a little more traction than Diaspora has.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.