The QAnon cult has started appropriating the Punisher skull logo, too

You kinda need to stop putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say retire or “closed down”. I said shelf for a while. It’s insanely common in comics for particular characters or series to go in and out of publication as they lose relevancy or editorial decides to go in a different direction. It’s also pretty normal for them not to get high profile adaptations. Punisher hasn’t seen a very big focus recently anyway, barring the TV show. Much of his relevancy is the unfortunate resemblance to common mass shootings, and the nasty adoption of the logo we’re talking about.

In other words it’s an active response, not neccisarily ceding ground. Choosing which characters to forefront or pigeonhole, or when to create new ones was long a major part of Marvel Comics (and Stan Lee’s) approach to topicality. Often times explicitly to push or present particular political positions. That’s a big part of how we got the Punisher in the first place.

The punks also stopped using Swastikas for shock value (mostly), and supporting bands that weren’t neccisarily out and out Nazis but were amenable, and works that cut too close. And people more broadly have kept doing so, that’s why there’s so much spite toward Morrisey these days.

I also pointed out (at length) that because of the origins and tropes embodied in the character that these are frequently misconstrued or misrepresented to opposite effect. And that because of the base problems with the character this is difficult to avoid.

More over doing that with a different character. Is still doing that.

I simply think it’ll be a better approach than what’s been done recently. The last major thing being the TV show, which was explicitly targeted (in part) at a problematic audience. And didn’t address the whole spree shooter thing well. And in terms of their overall response to this sort of thing. Otherwise not a lot is different, and he’s getting ceded to the Nazis.

For the moment Disney seems to be continuing to push things in terms of family friendly, broad entertainment the way Marvel always did. Both with Marvel and Star Wars. In terms of Marvel Perlmutter is gone, and he is a odious person who apparently stood in the way and pushed for the opposite.

In other ways they’ve sadly acquiesced. Marvel was duped into firing a director, and delaying a major release by a right wing smear campaign. I haven’t seen it yet but from the sounds of it the latest Star Wars gave into the nasty shit storm after TLJ. Reversing the things the most toxic fans were angriest about, and reducing screen time for an actress that’s faced heavy harassment just for appearing while female and non-white. And as a result it’s not a very good movie.

You also seem to have assumed I’m “not supporting” the character or the movie. And whatever you mean by that it’s not the case. I may very well go see if Frankencastle is on Marvel Unlimited. I’ve also got no compunction about supporting Marvel and Lucasfilm (discounting the whole crass monopoly thing). Because as I said they generally seem to be moving in the right direction (not in terms of owning the planet). And every time they make a billion dollars off a movie with a female or non-white lead, every time they see success with a more explicitly political work. The more they’re proving these assholes wrong. Backending the Punisher till there’s a better case for using the character well, doesn’t change any of that. It’s a way to do that. Timing and context are part and parcel of art. Art that doesn’t account for the culture surrounding it, is bad art.

It also doesn’t erase any of the extent material. It’s not like generally enjoying something means constantly needing new injections of it. I’ll be fine with the Dolf Lungren movie.

As to whether the TV show is worth watching. It’s pretty good. Criticisms or not. He was a nice addition to Daredevil, and the first season is good TV. But like most of the Netflix Marvel shows it gets messy in season 2. That whole collection of shows basically devolved into “superheroing is an addiction” nonsense fast. But given that it’s just 2 seasons and a backdoor pilot via Daredevil season 2 it holds together better than most of the other shows did.

Previously I was pretty careful to point out that I might not be understanding you.

Yes, you did. You said retire for now. That is different from shutting down. I apologize for my carelessness in that case.

On the contrary. You seem more supportive of the character than I am. That’s why calling for temporary retirement or back-burnering instead of going full antifa Punisher seemed odd to me. You also seem pretty aware of the history of antifa in punk, which is why, while I do suspect we have some basic disagreement on strategies, I’m having trouble sussing out what you meant (though the Swastika point is a good example and food for thought).

I also think we’re having a bit of crossed lines of communication on specifics versus generalities. And I think that’s at least as much (and maybe more) my fault for more generally riffing of your earlier comments while simultaneously trying to address what I think are more general points in this thread. I should have kept those two lines of discussion more clearly delineated.

Anyway, I suspect my responses may have caused your more stress than I had any good reason to cause you, and for that above all else I’m sorry.

2 Likes

I’ll put it this way.

You don’t think that if Marvel had cancelled the release of the TV show, as apparently nearly happened more than once, in reaction to the burst of mass shootings at the time. And issued a statement saying “Due to the frequency of mass killings in the United States, we feel it’s the wrong time to work with a character that resembles them so closely”.

Or put out a press release saying “We will not be returning to the Punisher for the foreseeable future. In the current environment, where he has been adopted as a symbol of hate, we’d prefer to focus on our new Black Captain America.”

That it wouldn’t represent a political statement in opposition to these things?

I’m pretty doubtful.

Focusing on Black Cap yes. Plus, Cap is my jam.

Look, I absolutely agree Marvel’s artists are trying to do the right thing. If they feel it’s time to back-burner Punisher then it’s time to back-burner Punisher.

In the more general sense, I don’t think any potential fascist Nazi fuckheads are going to stop becoming or being fascist Nazi fuckheads because Marvel back-burners Punisher. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

4 Likes

Wait, Lobo’s considered an anti-Hero rather than a straight up villain? When and how did that happen?

True statement: There are no survivors of the Bowling Green Massacre.

8 Likes

6 Likes

Interesting! I don’t know a lot about comics.

This is kind of funny, because normally I am always wondering what the fuss is about with respect to everyone having to make female versions of established characters, instead of just making more new and interesting characters that are women from the get-go, although I suppose some might view these as side-kicks or accessories, or no? (Edit: I haven’t read the punisher comics so I don’t know how developed his female allies are) I guess my point is that in this particular case I would find it amusing to do a full on “punisher is a woman now, and MAN IS SHE PISSED!” I guess I’m kind of a troll… or true neutral…

Regardless, thanks for telling me about these other characters!

Makes a better target /s.

I just fell sorry for the kids who like the comic book and think the the logo looks cool that won’t be able to wear it anymore without probably getting into a fight. Why don’t these assholes ever think abut the kids? What are they going to appropriate next TMNT type masks?

1 Like

I can’t say the same, as the second season of each show was rather disappointing to me; except for Iron Fist (which was god-awful), that seems to have been the case for almost all the Netflix MCU shows. Each had a much stronger first season, IMO.

There, I concur.

I liked Defenders and really wanted to see a Daughters of the Dragon entry into the franchise…

6 Likes

Yes.

(Of course this is the same paradoxical mindset that feels it prudent to amass as many weapons as they can for “the revolution” while at the same time hero worshipping the same police and military that would have to kill with those weapons if this happens.)

4 Likes

I would have thought that they would have gone with FIST-O

2 Likes

I confess I didn’t read Lobo, but I remember him being the edgy brute of the 90s.

Well I am a recovering comicholic. I knew of the blond, but found the red-head in looking her up. The thing with comics is it is both really creative and extremely derivative. When they find something that works, they will milk it with alternative versions. Some times it works, sometimes it is schlock. For every Punisher that lasts decades, you have a hundred characters you never see again.

She-Hulk was literally Stan Lee going, “You know the Hulk TV show is doing well, we better make a female version of him before someone else does”

But then again you have things like Gwen Stacy who is Spider-man(woman) (ETA: AKA Spider-Gwen) in an alternate universe and she is her own character with an amazing costume.

And like a lot of things, characters often become better or worse depending on the writer and how they connect with that character.

I will hopefully have time to read the longer comments later today.

I strenuously object to the mislabeling of SpiderGwen.

6 Likes

It’s all quite consistent. They are on the side of toxic masculinity in all forms.

4 Likes

For me, the only interesting run of The Punisher was when Mike Baron (of First Comics fame, he created Nexus and The Badger) was the writer. One of his best stories was called The Creep (EDIT: this issue), where a shifting point of view showed just how each character was a creepy scumbag from the point of view of others. Most importantly, Frank Castle himself.

A good Punisher story, really, makes you realise just how wrong Frank is. Sure, he may get the bad guy, but it’s like catching a rat by trashing the entire house and making it eventually unsafe to live in. All of his victories are pyrrhic. He is trying to remove a cyst with a chainsaw. And most of all, his character arc really shouldn’t be all that sustainable, he would either burn up or burn out, but if neither happens it gets boring fast.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.