The reason dogs walk in circles before they sleep

Stop the presses! Instinct? You’re telling me that the explanation for this behavior is the same explanation I’ve always heard for this behavior? Get along with your bad self now.

4 Likes

I knew this about dogs! If you walk in fields of long grass, you will sometimes find beds of grass flattened down by deer or other animals.

I am super curious what the mechanic is for creating an instinct. It must be hard wired into DNA? What are the limits for that?

2 Likes

Now how do I find out why I walk in circles before I go to sleep?

9 Likes

My fur babies make circles for … symmetry, I guess

11 Likes

Dogs are easily the best animal.

Cows taste better though.

2 Likes

Trying not to be snotty about this: Cats have always had a work role in relation to humans: Vermin control. This is not ancient or obscure; ask anyone who grew up on a farm.

9 Likes

Cheetahs, servals – to name two. IIRC quite a few others.

3 Likes

Perhaps one of your legs is already asleep.

4 Likes

If you’re like me, you’re trying to figure out where you put your glass of scotch.

5 Likes

A better question would be “why the hell don’t humans walk in circles before they sleep?”

2 Likes

I can’t help but notice that Skittles doesn’t appear to be searching for bombs. In fact he appears to be doing whatever the fuck he likes.

Like all the other cats.

:thinking:

2 Likes

I’m curious about that two. I’ve had two occurrences of reaction’s quite different to my normal reactions that I can only put down to instinct (or maybe race memory if that’s a real thing).

One day, riding my motorcycle through Dublin I came across a vintage lorry full of Black and Tans. Before my fore-brain had time to parse this anachronism, my dinosaur brain went RAGE! I was in the process of crash-landing the bike and looking for a weapon when my fore-brain caught up. It turned out to be a location for the movie Michael Collins. It was a weird feeling. By nature I’m calm and logical and have no temper to speak of.

The other time I was riding my motorcycle through the Moroccan Sahara when out of the corner of my eye I caught the weird moving not moving motion of a snake. My dinosaur brain went EAT SNAKE!! DELICIOUS SALTY BLOOD!!

This time, by the time my fore-brain caught up I had crash-landed the bike and was pursuing the poor creature on foot and gaining on it. Fortunately it… eh… legged it down a hole.

It should be noted that I’m Irish and we don’t have snakes here and I don’t know thing one about them. I’m not afraid of them the way I am of spiders, but as for identifying the type of snake and whether or not it’s venomous - not a clue. But man, I wanted to eat that thing raw!

4 Likes

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.