The "reverse supply chain": vast warehouses of deeply discounted, returned goods

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/24/core-sample-of-platform-capita.html

3 Likes

Huh. I thought at least a portion of returns go to Amazon Warehouse Deals.

6 Likes

“hustlers who will sell you lessons on how to achieve financial independence” – these are the new snake oil salesmen. They should just cut to the chase and tell us “you can achieve financial independence by being a hustler who sells info on how to achieve financial independence.” See also: Trump University.

17 Likes

Crap that was unceremoniously stuffed back into a box, tossed in the UPS bin, and then put back on the self for another go round? No thanks…

5 Likes

That’s Capitalism at it’s finest.

3 Likes

I’ve watched these videos on YouTube where they unbox pallet returns. It reminded me of opening presents for Christmas, till the guy got a box filled with animal waste.

10 Likes

I worked for a couple years at a company that did this (although not Amazon returns, most of our stuff came from big box stores - Kohl’s, Dick’s, Sears, etc.) and resold on eBay. It was low-paying, had a lot of turnover, and there was constant pressure to hit goals on making listings out of absolute crap. I think the biggest problem was that the bosses were reluctant to throw anything away, so we’d put clearly broken/worthless stuff in a small lot, or toss it into a giant box and sell it as a pallet lot.

Finding the balance between accurately describing stuff and having a decent speed was the biggest challenge.

4 Likes

com-crop

7 Likes

Am I the only one who has a viscerally negative reaction when I hear anyone talk about a “side hustle”? It has a weird connotation to me, as though there’s something illegitimate about the undertaking in question.

It’s just weird how the term “hustle” has become interchangeable with any kind of part-time income. I think it’s a bit telling… it indicates peoples’ desire to escape wage-slavery, to achieve “financial independence.” Essentially, it’s the dream of entering the capitalist class, and to do that by any means necessary… Which usually means selling some kind of garbage to dupes. It kind of indicates the cold reality of a system that will not properly reward wage labor, and the envy for those who escape it.

14 Likes
12 Likes

You’d have to be bat shit crazy to pay $86.74 for 1.5 lbs of… bat shit.

7 Likes

Are you kidding? It’s both premium AND organic! And that’s not all! It has Trubiotic! Heck, that’s a bargain at twice the price.

4 Likes

“Don’t expect it all to be good.” “ Don’t get discouraged if you’re halfway through your pallet and it’s all trash,” he said. In his business, it’s typical to throw away a third to half of everything.

This reminded me of the approach the “Storage Locker Wars” people take. Call it “late-stage garbage picking”.

6 Likes

Filled this house with 25 years of collected stuff while raising kids.
Stuck here ‘till it becomes a reverse supply chain.

13 Likes

I have ordered two items from that liquidation company. Neither came from Amazon.com, however, I can tell you… for the most part STAY AWAY. There is a reason many of the items are deeply discounted and/or returned. The sellers are very clear about selling, “As-Is” which could mean a moldy disgusting refrigerator, or a pallet of items that are missing enough parts to make them practically useless (let alone resellable).

Ugh I shudder thinking about my own experience. I ended up donating everything to Goodwill and taking the donation deductions at least.

5 Likes

Damn, I was about to pull the trigger on a truckload of area rugs! And such a deal on Maxell hi-8 cassettes.

And we have all received an education on what that means:

8 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. How long before the new TLC series “Pallet Wars”?

4 Likes

more boingboing store ads, eh ?

1 Like

I feel the same. Too much inertia (and hate for what it has become since the early days) to get around to making eBay listings. Some of it has real value, some of it not, but I can’t just junk it all…

2 Likes

A lot of scams sound just this side of illegitimate so they’ll get the right sort of mark.

5 Likes