The sexist double standard of summer dress codes

7 Likes

For the men complaining they don’t have any options (for the office), may I recommend:

Notice the dagger on the hem at the bottom.

Edit (for the office)

4 Likes

See what I posted a little earlier. Those are so so nice to wear.

3 Likes

Ach, falling over myself to promote kilts and missed it!

But is there no tartan utilikilts available though, d’y’know?

Oh dear, encouraging a clothing item often associated with a weapon? That’s a SWATing waiting to happen in today’s schools.

1 Like

Alas no, but they are less expensive and look good with a tie or a tshirt.
Edit, they also have pockets!

1 Like

I believe there’s a few laws requiring them to be made of materials you wouldn’t bother to try picking your teeth with everywhere but the UK. Although there are still places, even in Scotland, where overbearing police may interrupt your revelry to ask about the forbearance of such, just, not very often, from what I’ve seen.

Is that a dagger in your sock?

Aye.

Carry on.

edit Oh aye, Zero tolerance policies for Schools and Football games and such over here too.

2 Likes

Perhaps if they maintained a single standard for their male and female students, the discrepencies would be less noticeable to you. Don’t the families confront them about their putting forth a deliberately sexist dress code?

1 Like

I think the idea is to stick to norms of professional dress. Requiring girls to wear slacks, jackets and ties might be considered weird, no? And no, most families are thrilled to get in to one of the best public HS in the state and since many are Muslim, they love having a dress code to back them up. But even they often wear skintight pants, clearly not what is meant by “dress slacks”.

As for “what do they have against crew- and turtlenecks”, I think the fashion police would say it’s inappropriate to wear a tie with either. And I’m in NJ, not warm here during school.

My experience was that guys had to keep the code strictly, the girls wore anything that didn’t show midriff or butt-cheekage. One reason was that male teachers were reluctant to say anything about scantily-clad girls lest it be seen as “creepy” that they had noticed (this from a teacher we complained to). Add the fact that at my school the male teachers were much more likely to enforce rules than the female teachers, and it added up to miserable sweaty days in the old buildings with dying AC units we called a school.

1 Like

TOO MUCH VELOUR! Need to eat a sensual salad.

“Aaah, she’s built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!”

4 Likes

By “sexist” I meant “criteria which deliberately assume and/or require different standards or expectations depending upon ones sex”. Being expected to wear nice clothes is perfectly reasonable, but making this separate male and female categories seems awfully regressive.

To show how easy this can be to do, here’s a quick edit to the dress code from your post:

Students are expected to wear shirt and tie with dress, skirt, split skirts, dress slacks, Dockers or khaki pants. Capri pants covering the calf are permitted. Dress shirts including knit shirts with a collar can be worn with properly knotted and positioned ties. Ties are to be properly positioned at the neck at all times. Shirts that do not have a top collar button are not appropriate for ties. All dress shirts should be tucked in the dress pants not rolled under at all times and never hang loosely over the pants. Students may not wear halter tops, spaghetti straps, midriff tops or low cut shirts. Tops must substantially cover the waist. No denim, or denim look-a-likes; balloon pants, fatigues, sweat pants, riveted pants, cargo pants, pants with studs, jeans. lycra, stirrup, spandex, Capri or sweat pants are permitted. The hem of a dress or skirt must go beyond the length of your arm when standing.

Suit jackets, sports jackets, v-neck sweaters, v-neck vest, or cardigan sweaters must be worn from October 1st to April 30th each school year. Your buttoned shirt and tie must be visible above the v-neck to be acceptable. Crew neck sweaters, turtle neck sweaters, sweatshirts with or without school logo, sweat shirts with a hood, sweaters with logos, i.e. NIKE, FUBU etc. are not permitted. Corporate symbols, i.e. Ralph Lauren polo player symbol, are permitted.

A few other OT problems with it: Semantic nitpicking about what constitutes a “logo” as opposed to a “corporate symbol”. Also, this notion of, as you refer to it, “professional dress” is entirely Eurocentric. It certainly doesn’t reflect the native norms of the New Jersey area.

I came to that conclusion too, but I do have to say my brain was spinning in a strange way trying to parse the original sentence.

1 Like

That would be a hoot making the girls wear ties and jackets, that just might bring the revolution! On the other hand the catholic schools do just that. Just what do you consider the native norms of NJ? We are in a country where business attire happens to be the “eurocentric model”. We’re trying to get kids to act like grownups by making them dress like grownups, and teach them you gain respect by acting respectable, rather than looking like ho’s and gangstas. Doesn’t always work, but you gotta try. Many of the regular public schools have more restrictive dress codes. I don’t live in the suburbs where rich kids enjoy play acting “ghetto”, we have serious inner city, failing schools and a graduation rate below 75%.

you could have stopped there and stayed respectable. But decided to say that looking respectable and acting respectable are the same thing.

To my millenial eyes, a suitjacket, dress shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes don’t look “respectable”. They look the uniform of the people who fucked over my future. You know, those “respectable” people who fucked our economy, and then profited from it. It also looks like the “respectable” attire of the people currently trying to make it illegal for gay people to marry, and for women to get abortions. It also looks like the attire of the people who laid me off from my last few jobs. It also looks like the attire of the people selling M16s and RPG-7s to Islamic radicals.

So, the point is, respectable attire is meaningless, expensive, and uncomfortable. Why should we force kids to look like monochromatic corporate robots, war profiteers, wallstreet assfuckery agents, and congresspeople when we want our kids to aspire to do much more respectable and worthwhile things than those fucking pieces of human garbage?

What does “respectable attire” have to do with anything relevant besides display that you can afford to dress like a waiter or a con artist?

10 Likes

Which here is more “Respectable”?

These people?

Or this person?

I’m going to go with the people in the first image. Seeing as they didn’t chase down and kill a random kid. Their actions make them respectable. Not that they look however your ideal of “nice” (I suspect expensive and uncomfortable) is.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Those appear to be ass-less as well, so a different animal. I haven’t seen the cycling short variety. I remember seeing ass-less chaps for the first time when I was on a school field trip to the San Francisco Mint back in the late 70’s. Anyway, thanks for sharing…

1 Like

Sophisticated, yet sporty.

2 Likes

I’m still partial to the kilts, but to each their own.

3 Likes