The size of the solar system if Earth were the volume of a basketball

Yeah well - maybe remind the moon of the time 65 million years ago it just watched as a giant asteroid smacked into the Earth. sob he said he’d always protect the Earth! We trusted him! Now all our trilobites are dead!

1 Like

At least it’s clear, from the wonky orbit, that Pluto ain’t no soikel-lovin’ planet.

This reminds me of the thing that bugged me most about Leviathan Awakes was a lack of scale: the space between the gas giants is incredible, even if you don’t consider their positions in orbit. Playing around with an online orrery, I saw that Saturn and Jupiter would most likely be opposite one another, so there is even more empty space there than the novels and the Expanse TV series suggest.

I’ve been playing Elite: Dangerous since December, and just got my Sol permit a couple of days ago.

It really brings it home when you’re at Titan and the trading computer says you have to take your goods to a station orbiting Jupiter, and as you’re exiting the mailslot you realize the sun is between you and there.

Granted, it helps that top speed in supercruise is 2000c, but the sun still gets in the way. You either have to slow down to a crawl going past, or make a big detour.

1 Like

Oh no. You’re right that at those close distances a person would not
survive. Also, you couldn’t be stuck to it, there’d be no surface to stand
on

2 Likes

Dude, Trilobites went extinct at the end of the Permian, 250 million years ago. The non-avian dinosaur killer was way after that. :wink:

Oh shit, you’re right. I didn’t think it was that long ago.

I just want one wittle trilobite to call my own!

1 Like

In all fairness, 65 million years and 250 million years are equally mind boggling, and, at best, I parse both as “a hella long time ago”.

I get it that it’s annoying sometimes how difficult it is to relate the sheer amount of space to people unfamiliar with the true size of the solar system. But how hideously boring would a book or tv show be if they had to accurately depict distances. You’d spend an entire season of the Expanse involved in daily ship maintenance. Makes it sort of difficult to move the story along.

Regular tv shows don’t even accurately depict time or distance for the same reason. For frak’s sake on Rizzoli and Isles the show is based in Boston, takes place over multiple years AND IT’S NEVER WINTER.

True, but I shoulda remembered.

I still have a dream that we find them somewhere in the deep abyss. But it appears they were all shallow water creatures. It makes me sad that they didn’t keep going.

I say this hating most arthropods, but I wub my trilobites.

Right, no sense of time whatsoever. Something that is normally easily fixed with a calendar text overlay, even if it’s fake. Or a beard. Or mentioning something like having missed a birthday. It’s just a little thing that I miss, especially if time is supposedly of the essence.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.