The struggle to get swatting taken seriously by law enforcement

Now, which is it? Are the victims of swatting “mostly vulnerable minorities” or are they “largely white and middle class?”

Are there any actual statistics on this?

Where are you getting the white middle class statement? It’s not in the BB writeup.

3 Likes

That’s right up there with “If you’ve got nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to worry about (with surveillance)” that makes me want to just

them until they get a clue.

6 Likes

[quote=“Shuck, post:23, topic:78398, full:true”]“If you’ve got nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to worry about (with surveillance)” that makes me want to just… them until they get a clue.
[/quote]

Perhaps “Since you’ve got nothing to hide or worry about, do we just download your sextapes directly, or would you prefer us to set up video cameras in your family’s bedrooms and bathrooms?” :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, whenever anyone says, “I don’t see the problem, I don’t have anything to hide,” that’s immediately where my mind goes. One could also add to that, “Really, you wouldn’t mind a transcript of all your private conversations being made available on the web?”

4 Likes

I sure hope the italics implied my sarcasm

“I don’t have anything to hide.”

“That’s great for you. Hey, could I borrow your phone?”

6 Likes

Even better reply:

‘Groovy; by the way can I have the password to your laptop?’

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely. But we all know that there are people who say that un-ironically, and they need a good shaking.

2 Likes

I thought it was already illegal to falsly report an emergency due to it tying up resources. I suppose this bill would then be more taking into account the revenge/harassment oriented nature.

Personally anyone who does this shit to someone else has crossed a fucking line. Yea huh huh huh huh let’s call the cops on thtat woman that turned me down in WoW. It’ll be funny.

Just… goddamnit guys can you stop being assholes? Please? I’m starting to regret both being male and preferring the fact I like my plumbing as is.

[quote]

[quote]

Yea, that’s what I want to do to the people that do this stupid shit, thanks for saving me the trouble of finding an appropriate gif @shuck.

6 Likes

As stated above jurisdiction, local laws, budgets, etc make it hard to prosecute. A lot of the time the perp is in another state or country so even if they have the time and money to figure who called in the false alarm they can’t touch them. This wants to make it easier/automatically an FBI matter and give them the money to actually do something.

Sure. Doesn’t absolve people who are calling the cops and getting them to send in the swat team.

1 Like

It will be taken seriously when it happens to corporations - the citizens who matter

That is such a strange and unintuitive system. But it does make those “let’s steal this thing then then cross a state border so the cops can’t follow” movies make more sense. Does this mean that states can ask each other to extradite prisoners?

1 Like

Yes and they regularly do.

If you were in pursuit of a suspect and they crossed state lines you could continue, you’d just have to contact the local authorities and let them help you out.
However, smaller towns, like where most of these swattings take place, can’t typically investigate calls or other out of state initiated crimes because they don’t have the resources or the time, too much local crime to put two detectives on the case that involves tracking down what is perceived as a prank phone call from some VOIP that they’ll need a warrant for from the locality the phone call was made from.
They can certainly extradite, but the issue with swatting is finding someone to imprison in the first place. They take the possibility of the local threat a lot more seriously than the person who made up the threat, which makes no sense.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.