The Theremin is almost 100-years-old

This is still one of my favorite documentaries. I think I saw it at the Brattle in Cambridge double-featured with Crumb maybe? Quite the pair.

Watching the Jimmy Page clip, the theremin would have made a good Spinal Tap gag.

1 Like

Brian Wilson was definitely an innovator with using the theremin in rock songs.

And I dunno about “doped up” - he seems incredibly lucid and animated there, much more so than I’m accustomed to seeing in his interviews at the time.

In any event, I’m l pretty sure Brian was the first to have a theremin solo in a rock song:

And of course the most iconic use is in another Brian Wilson creation:

It’s such a cool sound.

And if you want to get really pedantic, The Beach Boys used an Electro-Theremin which is an entirely different beast:

Notably it is mechanically actuated and produced a very consistent and controllable sound.

4 Likes

Aww, it doesn’t sound a day over 99.

3 Likes

I saw this tour but not this show.

Any band that uses a theremin gets my love.
Any band that does battling theremins is beyond awesome.

7 Likes

I never got to see them live, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I missed seeing them back in the 90s so I was thrilled to hear they had a new release and were on tour that year. It was my birthday present to myself.

ETA their facebook page appears to show they are doing shows still.

2 Likes

you can see the Electro-Theremin being played in the background of the beach boys clip included with the Wilson interview.

Aw, I was hoping for ‘Dualing Banjos’ on theremins.

2 Likes

Then, of course, there’s me “playing” one with a shih tzu named Dupont.

This is a weird recent copyediting trend that I see all over the place and it drives me batty. On the other hand, language gonna language; I’m not sure there’s anything to be done about it.

I so envious.

5 Likes

It’s free, you just got to get to Asheville!

I… have no idea what’s going on with the one box link there, but it goes to the Moog Factory website, I promise…

3 Likes

Then there were these guys:

2 Likes

I feel the same way about building a ukulele and a hollow body guitar to match my bass. I’d probably never play them, but having a matched set I built myself appeals. But for me it’s mostly my champion- class procrastination.

1 Like

Why are there hyphens in this headline?

You could compromise, and buy a kit, then build that. (For example)

(But wait, there’s still more!)

2 Likes

No, you’re right. Nothing to be done. If I could change one thing by sheer force of will, it would be the use of “hone in on” instead of “home in on”. Actually, I heard a young athlete on a podcast say she wanted to “hone in on… my skills”; that’s interesting, because “honing my skills” is a perfectly good statement. So it was a kind of Schrodinger’s solecism. (Which is my new band.)

2 Likes

as well as Richard Waters’s Waterphone. https://www.facebook.com/lisa.jones.92317/videos/10214110702022964/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.