The thread on the rape case that got closed

Getting back on topic, we might have the new user TL3 flag block thresholds in place by the end of the week, or next week at the latest. (some other internal stuff had to take priority for the moment, sorry) I also apologize that I have to be coy about the exact number of flags + tl3 users that will trigger this, but I do think they are safe and reasonable levels that would have kicked in a tad earlier in the specific example cited:

• 7 replies by this user were flagged
  • 20 flags were cast total (distribution 2, 2, 2, 4, 4, 3, 3)
  • 6 users involved in flags – 5 TL3, 1 TL2

(I also flagged it to push it over the topic flag close limit a bit sooner, but I am not counting myself in the above)

So in the meantime, I suggest you practice your flagging skills on any new users who show up and start posting in what you consider to be clear and overt bad faith.

15 Likes

Thanks for the update! I’m sure we’re all looking forward to the new powers!!! Muwahahahaha…

7 Likes

OK! I’ve deployed that here. If anyone wants to test it, create a new account, be a super jerk (in a test topic created and clearly marked for that purpose, obvs) and watch the TL3 flag magic happen.

And, in general, please continue to flag posts, especially posts by new accounts, when they are clearly being overt not-even-trying jerkholes.

We can thank @neil for getting this done! :maple_leaf:

7 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canadians? Don’t we have a thread for that?

5 Likes
7 Likes

Thank you @neil!

3 Likes

After two posts were flagged into oblivion:

5 Likes

Neat!
I feel so powerful.

1 Like

@TRUMP_2016: [quote=“codinghorror, post:47, topic:79167”]
be a super jerk (in a test topic created and clearly marked for that purpose, obvs)
[/quote]

Stay in the designated thread, please. This one isn’t bad, but threads like the Anderson Cooper thread shouldn’t be a test playground.

2 Likes

Yeah test topics only please. It is true that all posts by a new user will be automatically hidden if they reach the TL3 flag or spam flag threshold, though.

2 Likes

I did try to help out in that test thread, but… :frowning: I’m still not Regular.

Oh, well. Y’all don’t really need my help with that anyway.

2 Likes

You’re ridiculously close, literally 3 topics entered away from getting it. So… enter a few more topics?

8 Likes

14 Likes

@codinghorror: Can we move all of the talk about threads closing over to a Meta topic? It seems like the appropriate category, and most of this thread is now far removed from @ChickieD’s original post.

As a reader or as a commenter?

I’ve done both, but I haven’t felt any magical changes yet.

Is it something one feels inside? :wink:

10 Likes

Oh, but you’re so close! Literally 3 topics entered away from getting it!

Keep at it! And hold this snipe catching bag while you’re at it!

7 Likes

Just reader. The regular rules favor reading over commenting big time.

1 Like

Bit cold this time of year.

Based on your feedback, we have significantly relaxed the thresholds for auto blocking to happen, but bear in mind:

• target must be TL0 (new user)

• flaggers must be TL3 (regulars)

… for the auto-block part of this to happen. All other flag effects (hiding posts, auto-close of topics, etc) have their own thresholds that are calculated independently.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 257 days. New replies are no longer allowed.