The time Mikhail Gorbachev starred in a Pizza Hut commercial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/02/the-time-mikhail-gorbachev-sta.html

3 Likes

I always feel sorry for Gorbachev. He was given command of a supertanker, and people blame him for not being able to turn it on a sixpence.

If his reforms had come before the era of stagnation, then there’s a good chance the USSR would still be around today. Of course, people have been saying these “what ifs” for 25 years. What if Kruschev wasn’t removed after the Cuban/Turkish missile crisis, What if Trotsky had replaced Lenin rather than Stalin, What if the sailors of Kronstadt has succeeded in restoring democracy and multi-party politics. And so on… The path dependence of the Soviet system on individual decisions, rather than robust systems is a key weakness in their entire history.

And this whole series of what ifs reminds me of a soviet-era joke:
Q- What is the difference between Dubček and Gorbachev?
A. Nineteen years.

7 Likes

Perhaps a more salient what-if is: What if Yeltsin, Russia’s first President after the fall of Communism, had been a disciplined, principled statesman instead of the drunk, incompetent, corrupt fool that he turned out to be.

Russia’s constitution and institutions are a joke because of him. And Putin didn’t come out of nowhere; Yeltsin groomed him because he wanted to retire with his ill-gotten billions without being prosecuted.

4 Likes

He couldn’t influence the onset of poor quality Pizza Hut in the 90s, either. /s

3 Likes

Anybody knows what is Gorbachev reputation in Russia now? I mean, is he forgotten, considered a failure but respected for trying, actively hated?

2 Likes

I know that everything in Trump’s life and career appears to be connected to Russia but this is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

And to reply to myself, just read the full article. Boy, not loved at all, not even given a consolation prize for trying.

1 Like

Gorby came to Minneapolis in 1990; my wife and I were living in northern Minnesota that year, and we trekked down to see him. Being in one of the crowds of Minnesotans cheering his motorcade was a delight.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.