The tragic lives of silkworms in captivity

Silk noil is made from shorter threads which is why is less expensive. Some of the peace silk is silk noil, but not all silk noil is peace silk. There’s other short threads that are the byproducts of regular silk production.

Cheaper silk can tend to have a distinct smell. That is because it hasn’t been sufficiently cleaned, so it might contain some of the wormy or chrysalis bits, or more likely it hasn’t been properly degummed. The gum is the sticky stuff that keeps the cocoon together.

3 Likes

It’s not like cotton production is particularly humane toward insects either. 16% of all pesticides used on the planet go toward killing bugs that feed on cotton plants.

Basically if you wear clothing you’re probably indirectly responsible for killing a bunch of bugs.

13 Likes

Cool! That memory study is pretty conclusive re: persistent nervous system.

I can’t make a lot of sense out of the CT scans… all I’m seeing is a tiny little thing growing in the vast empty space of the chrysalis, which fits more with my ‘melt and grow from scratch’ mental model rather than ‘gradually transform in place’ but it’s likely I’m looking at the wrong things.

2 Likes

The blob in the middle is the midgut. That’s in red in this image from the paper, with the trachea in blue:

5 Likes

You stay with Allardyce Meriweather,
and you’ll wear silk.

But I don’t know as
I want to wear silk.

My dear boy, what else can a man of parts wear than silk?

3 Likes

C’mon, you two! Sing! Sing!!

6 Likes

2 Likes

I’m more of a cicada guy myself.

Mosura ya Mosura

4 Likes

I miss those guys. Hope I’m around for the next cicadapalooza.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.