The treadmill was commonly used to punish prisoners with hard labor

And the energy they produce is being wasted. When will an enterprising gym owner link them up to storage batteries and power the lights and loud music, saving carbon-generated electricity?
:wink:
(Yes, I know gym treadmills are themselves powered. Someone just needs a bit of imagination and some redesign capability.)

2 Likes

“Step in young man, I know your face, it’s nothing in your favour.
A little time I’ll give to you, six months unto hard labour”

4 Likes

I believe the key difference here is that they can stop being on the treadmill, willingly.

1 Like

You have a Fitbit you say?

1 Like

Now a dimly remembered quote from JG Ballard’s “High Rise” comes to mind. Something about people working out on exercise machines to develop muscles uniquely adapted to working out on exercise machines.

2 Likes

Sure do! They were heavily used in medieval construction, especially of the massive cathedrals. There are lots of representations of them…

4 Likes

I might posit that being broken by extended exposure to powerless ennui is in some ways preferable to being tormented by an array of existential anxieties. We must imagine Sisyphus happy, and so on.

But there are probably better alternatives to both. I guess.

That’s interesting. Goes along with OTJ safety issues then; check out the grieving person (lower left) placing what appears to be a death shroud (?) over a body(?)

1 Like

Early facepalm

2 Likes

Given what look like grapevines to me above him, I’m guessing that’s actually Noah’s sons covering him up after he got dead drunk and lost his pants.

Yea, verily.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.