The UK grew rich by looting the world; now it launders billions for other looters

Yeah, I don’t mean EXPOSE offshore banks – I mean wipe the servers. Empty the memory. Format commands.

If exposure doesn’t remove cockroaches, I recommend fire.

3 Likes

Empire IS a crime.

6 Likes

Henry George land-value taxes can help. The economic value derived from land (including natural resources like petroleum and minerals) should belong equally to all members of society.

1 Like

Or how about erasing some bullshit warrants for people who don’t deserve them?

7 Likes

It’s impressive just how terrible the British Empire managed to be, though. I mean, you’re stacking it up against things like the Belgian Congo, so it takes some real flamboyance to manage to be worse. Getting a whole country hooked on opium and then using that as a stereotype against them? Masterful.

5 Likes

I can guarantee that the safeguards around offshore tax havens etc are low, slow and old.

It’s pork. No need to keep pace.

[citation needed]. It is the British Empire, after all.

1 Like

245513_79754d_phixr

3 Likes
5 Likes

Such a terrible shame, isn’t it?

7 Likes

I’m clutching my pearls right now.

3 Likes

If they weren’t fished up by half-drowned street urchins then they don’t count.

3 Likes

How very Victorian of you. Rees-Mogg himself might approve.

2 Likes

com-optimize

5 Likes

These are pearls we’re talking about.

I think you meant:

Hand gathered by plucky natives in the far-off parts of our Empire, grateful for the benefits of our benelovent oversight…

which is as it happens a quite interesting memoir from one of the knockabout adventurers who ended up doing the practical bits of ruling our far-flung dominions for us.

3 Likes

I was looking for a polite way to refer to those delightfully opportunistic foreign children of days-gone-by but couldn’t think of anything inoffensive off the cuff.

5 Likes

here is my 2016 list of GREAT British things

1 Like

We definitely need more Sneakers GIFs in here.

5 Likes

tumblr_m40la0f0Ip1qh4ve0o1_1280

4 Likes