The US Department of Justice was originally created to tackle white supremacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/the-us-department-of-justice-w.html

7 Likes

Well, isn’t that ironic.

8 Likes

Not only that, but they eradicated the Klan. The KKK were gone, a non-entity.

Then some rebooting cosplayers decided to bring it back based on “good old days” values and a racist movie. And THEN it stuck, and it’s been around for 100 years now.

14 Likes

And people give me funny looks when I say paraphrase John Hodgman’s observation that nostalgia is the most toxic human impulse.

Edited for attribution, which I actually do when I talk to people. Good callout.

10 Likes

the truth is always so inconvenient for liars

2 Likes

Probably mostly because you’re quoting John Hodgman without attribution.

4 Likes

By the time the KKK reformed the DoJ was much more sympathetic to their cause.

The original DoJ worked because unlike traditional law enforcement agencies there was no existing racist hierarchy. It took several years for racists to infiltrate it like they had so many of the regional police departments around the country.

This is the crux of the Defund the Police argument. That existing departments are too corrupt to fix, the corrupting influence crushes anybody who tries. So the only solution is to burn it all down and start an entirely new service with the same mandate but inherent organizational structure that prevents corruption from becoming the norm. Strong whistleblower protections, independent review, public accountability, no roadblocks to removing bad actors, a culture of putting the community before the department.

4 Likes

I’m with you up to the “same mandate” part.

We don’t need a single service that does all the things the police currently do. Nor would we be best served by any combination of services that have a mandate to feed millions of American citizens through our prison system.

6 Likes

Yeah, I guess I should say the original mandate. To uphold the law, serve and protect.

I hate to continue nitpicking but that’s really still just a romanticized idea of what these organizations’ “original mandate” was, even in a best-case scenario where the laws are just (spoiler: they usually aren’t).

3 Likes

All mission statements are aspirational to a degree.

Ultimately you need a neutral third party to call when someone else is being a dick and/or won’t abide by the rules. Vigilante justice is no justice at all. Without a check on assholes society cannot survive at scale.

1 Like

2 Likes

The wounds weren’t “torn open by the civil war”, they were triaged by it. The “wounds” of slavery and indigenous genocide were geysers of blood. The war of southern treason was one of thousands of necessary steps to true liberation and equality. Enough with this romanticism and both sides bullshit, Smithsonian.

3 Likes

“Some rebooting cosplayers” AKA Woodrow Wilson.

Who also set the stage for 20th C American imperialism.

2 Likes

FBI = Pinkertons plus Klan.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.