The wonderful thing about capitalism

http://poorrichardsnews.com/bernie-sanders-why-does-there-have-to-be-so-many/

Stay out of Home Depot?

Sure, if the number of ass-catchers on display here triggers your analysis paralysis, I guess.

You’ll be pleased to know that you don’t have to smuggle toilet seats with built-in toddler seats from China. I have one of a similar design where the toddler seat is held magnetically to the inside of the lid and it can be removed entirely if no longer needed.

1 Like

Perhaps because coloured bathroom suites were a very big thing in the 70s and 80s.

And the consensus is that they were awful and must never be spoken of again.

19 Likes
9 Likes
the reason there are 23 different kinds of deodorant is because that’s what the market supports. If the market would support 24, there would be 24. And if the market would support 22, there would be 22. This is the market working perfectly. And it’s a good thing.

The reason this is a circular argument is because of how circular it is. If it wasn’t so circular, it wouldn’t be a circular argument!

21 Likes

When I buy a set of jumper cables or a thermos, all I care about is that I get a good bargain on something that will do the job. Give me one, maybe three options at most. Please, for the love of god, don’t make me overthink this.

When I buy a microphone, I want to make sure that it’s an appropriate style with the right dynamic range, a proper pickup pattern, and that I can get or use my existing windscreen, shock mount, and/or stand. I need a couple good general purpose stage mics, which need to be nice and sturdy for gigs, and a couple more clear wide range studio mics. Then I’m gonna need some specialty mics for drums- Probably a couple different kick mics to handle various bass drums, djembes, and whatever the session players show up with-, vocals, acoustic guitar, and something that can handle high volume stuff like bagpipes. A couple things, like the sitar, will probably need their own dedicated rig because they’re just weird to mic. The big thing is my live vocal mic, which I want to make sure works just right with my particular voice- The last one I bought, I tested 8 different mics through 5 different PA setups. Overall, I’d say that to buy the 15 or 20 specific mics I need, I’m gonna want to look at at least two, maybe three hundred options, and I’m literally not even kidding about that.

As I understand it, there are also people who feel that way about cars or clothing. I don’t get it.

11 Likes
3 Likes

I have a question if you please: What is th horseshoe feature good for? I’ve been considering it for a bit and came up with nothing.

So you don’t have to lift the seat if you are a guy.

1 Like

…No. I’m afraid I don’t understand that. So, when I’m sitting on it, I can’t lift it regardless.
When I’m a man (which I happen to be) and wish to pee standing, then clearly the little cutout in the front should make no real difference, no? I should still lift up the whole seat; so to have a wider hole to pee in and to protect the seat from ‘drizzle’, no?

I’m no big fan off peeing standing.

9 Likes

Avocado green – aaauughhhh!

1 Like

I imagine reactionaries pushing back on Beschizza’s sarcasm by saying, Sure, they all look alike at this level, if you’re just going to a big chain hardware store and looking at their selection. But there are other options available if you’re willing to pay a lot more. Same way they talk about health care. Sure Americans have overall higher prices for health care and worse outcomes than other industrialized countries. But you can get really good health care as long as you pay a lot more for it. [And here we just pretend that everyone can make as much money as they want if they just work hard, in spite of evidence to the contrary.]

5 Likes

And we know “it’s a good thing” because … he says so.

2 Likes

My best guess is that it’s an admission that no, you aren’t going to pick the toilet seat up. Now at least most of the pee, statistically, is going to be on the rim of the bowl not the seat.

Most that misses the bowl that is.

1 Like

Am I alone in thinking that the corruption of cells called trump has lips that look like toilet seats…the round ones. I don’t think I’ll ever trust another toilet. Sort of makes me long for the outhouses of yore. I may go back to what the bears do, there’s plenty of woods here in the Shawnees National

1 Like

Written on the wall of the mental health hospital where I worked for years was a little jingle…I’m sure it’s old and trite but…

If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Be a sweetie and wipe the seatie.

such sage and thoughtful advice…applies to any color, shape, material or texture of seats so I suppose.

6 Likes

I’ve seen an awful lot of horseshoe shaped toilet seats in female bathrooms.

3 Likes

So, I went through the whole “stare at all the different toilet seats at Home Depot for a half hour trying to figure out what the hell the difference is” a couple of years ago, and eventually realized that what I was looking at was a combinations created issue. There actually aren’t all that many choices. It just looks like there are. Let’s say you’re looking to buy a whooziewidget. And whooziewidgets come in 2 sizes, 2 colors, 3 idgie styles (an idgie is a part of the whooziewidget), and 2 materials. So, there are only 4 options, really; size, color, idgie style, and material. But to display an example of each possible whooziewidget, you’d have to display 24 different whooziewidgets. This is exactly the situation with the toilet seats. There aren’t really all that many different options. A chart at the point of sale would be a much less confusing way to point people to the toilet seat they want and need, but the average marketing idiot at Home Depot thinks that the average consumer loves choices, so displaying an example of each possible combination seems like a good idea to them. I’m not really sure this is as much an issue of capitalism as it is marketing people not understanding psychology, and everyone not being real good at math.

7 Likes

You overlook one detail when calling the marketing guys “idiots”: The display is also the storage space. They virtually safe no space, no real extra effort (save some bucks for the person who puts this up and the covers itself, at bulk prices) when they don’t put a sample for each one on display.

3 Likes