There may be a 'Fifth Dimension'

I wonder if the doofus who left her did so because he wasn’t satisfied with just one fried egg.

3 Likes

No number of feet doing their stuff will get us that explanation.

3 Likes

He just couldn’t bear to tell her that he preferred his eggs poached.

3 Likes

Oddly, the phlogiston theory isn’t far off the mark. Matter and energy are interchangeable, the duration of any given state just depends on the stability. (Which is why particle smashing leads to ever more exotic results, there is literally no end to the possibilities, just ever diminishing probabilities that need ever greater amounts of energy to be likely to manifest.)

I came to the comments to praise Marilyn McCoo, and instead everybody’s talking about the article. That’s some of the sloppiest lip synching I’ve ever seen, and yet the song is delightful. What fabulous costumes!

2 Likes

Schpongle says this best

The ekpyrotic process begins far in the indefinite past
With a pair of flat empty branes sitting parallel to each other
In a warped five-dimensional space
The two branes, which form the walls of the fifth dimension
Could’ve popped out of nothingness

1 Like

750cfc5c1e5ec6224f789d64a80182fe

5 Likes
3 Likes

19 Likes

Thanks for the link for the 5th dimension (the musicians I mean), I didn’t know about them. Rousing stuff.
About the dimensional question, fear not! Experiments are on the way. IF there are additional dimensions, matter cannot pass between them (sorry teleporters), but gravity can. And at CERN in Geneva, if memory serves, they are studying certain aspects of gravity to check just such an eventuality.
That at least is how I understood it, not a physicist, eh.

https://home.cern/science/physics/extra-dimensions-gravitons-and-tiny-black-holes

3 Likes

1920 was an exciting time for theoretical physics and extra dimensions…

5 Likes

This does explain the mystic crystal revelations…

5 Likes

I am constantly amazed that people keep saying how crazy dark matter is and that our extremely well-tested theory of gravitation must somehow be incorrect and adjusted to cover so many different observations. Because sure we might have one simple idea that explains all of them…but it’s just too outlandish to suppose that some matter doesn’t glow. If it’s out there, it has to be visible from light-years away, anything else is an obvious mistake.

Are you sure you’ve identified which direction is trying to add epicycles to physics correctly?

2 Likes

LSD? Dude, I solved the whole structure of the universe AND the structure of the brain AND the structure of society with just weed. Wanna hear my theories? Wait, where are you going?

A fifth element, a fifth dimension…what will they think of next?

7 Likes

I like the way you think!

2 Likes

They might both be equally, terribly wrong, like astronomers arguing about the orbit of Vulcan*.

*the hypothesized planet with an orbit inside the orbit of Mercury used to explain the perturbations in it’s orbit.

1 Like

I thought that the most agreed on cosmological modelling had something like 8 or 11 dimensions already.

My overall sense has been (from reading about this stuff – I’m not a theoretical physicist by any means), string theory and its derivations are generally considered to be extremely hypothetical, and potentially scientifically unprovable. While there may be more academic supporters of these ideas than competing notions, that’s mostly because there just aren’t many alternative notions at this point – not because string theory is widely-accepted by science.

If the above is mistaken, by all means someone please correct my understanding. :slight_smile: I like learning about this stuff – although admittedly, I’m much more keen on so-called “digital physics” than string theory, at the moment. Although I imagine they might relate, if there’s truth in either.

1 Like