There's an endless AI generated Seinfeld episode running on Twitch

:wink: = not to criticize tech bro spin… too much.

… at this stage of “artificial intelligence,” all we know for sure is anything it says that seems insightful or even sensible is either a coincidence or an act of automated plagiarism :thinking:

8 Likes

I’m mildly disappointed they don’t have a diner table scene.

3 Likes

someone call me when ai invents its own language, and starts producing seinfeld episodes that can only be seen with infrared vision

everything is so derivative these days

2 Likes

… some cartoons, especially Family Guy, the most “about nothing” show that was ever about nothing

3 Likes

You mean at Monk’s Café? I also think they should have that!

1 Like

Aaaaaaand it’s gone.

5 Likes

No soup for you!

7 Likes

Probably something like Mort’s cafe…

I find this endlessly (?) fascinating, so I had to go check out their discord after they went offline:

Hey guys, just wanted to keep you up to date. We’ve had a 14-day suspension due to Larry going off the rails during his stand-up routine.

We’d like to reassure everyone that none of what he said reflects any of our opinions, and we didn’t expect him to say anything he said.

We’ve been investigating the root cause of the issue. Earlier tonight, we started having an outage using OpenAI’s GPT-3 Davinci model, which caused the show to exhibit errant behaviors (you may have seen empty rooms cycling through). OpenAI has a less sophisticated model, Curie, that was the predecessor to Davinci. When davinci started failing, we switched over to Curie to try to keep the show running without any downtime. The switch to Curie was what resulted in the inappropriate text being generated. We leverage OpenAI’s content moderation tools, which have worked thus far for the Davinci model, but were not successful with Curie. We’ve been able to identify the root cause of our issue with the Davinci model, and will not be using Curie as a fallback in the future. We hope this sheds a little light on how this happened.

edit: 5 hours later…

A quick update re: technical investigation from our side. We mistakenly believed that we were leveraging OpenAI’s content moderation system for their text generation models. We are working now to implement OpenAI’s content moderation API (it’s a tool we can use to verify the safeness of the content) before we go live again, and investigating secondary content moderation systems as redundancies.

oops!

6 Likes

Wow, thanks for the update! I wonder what stand-up routine was!

3 Likes

Yes, all that means is that someone out there wrote some similar pinball metaphor at some point.

Always good to remember these algorithms aren’t creating anything new.

3 Likes

Fed as they are by the discourse of 21st century life, AIs inevitably sink into trite bigotry. Poor Larry, forced to ask something like “what is it with those greedy Jews, anyway?” at the mic in the comedy club.

4 Likes

“Don’t you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There’s one marked ‘Brightness,’ but it doesn’t work.”

― Gallagher

Maybe they’ll offer shows at different tiers? To get dialog that’s actually funny and witty, you’ll have to subscribe at the premium level.

3 Likes

Presumably, the AI huffed some Bad Internet and went racist. Again.
(ETA: just like @gracchus said, only more elegantly than I did)

2 Likes

or it used jokes from michael richard’s stand-up. :confused:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Their discord opened back up for public chat and transphobes were immediately coming out of the woodwork and getting banned.

3 Likes

Although where cartoons become difficult is the exaggerated characters, when the AI is bad at having distinct voices at all. (Plus, the sight gags - just forget about them.)

1 Like

AI has better uses.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.