There's going to be a Duke Nukem movie

too old to be cool, not old enough to be classic

stuck in the dad rock zone

1 Like

We already got a Duke Nukem movie at the end of Free Guy in the form of this thing:
Ryan Reynolds Dude GIF by 20th Century Studios

4 Likes

Gamergate would gladly argue with you.

I’m here to not go to theaters anymore, and chew gum.

And, I am all out of gum.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I was there. 35 year software engineer here, worked in games my entire life.

Thing is, I don’t care. Shitty gaming culture was created and reinforced by games like this. The technical stuff was all gonna happen anyway. The culture of shit that I spent my career inside didn’t have to happen.

6 Likes

My bet is on Nicolas Cage, and Who the Fuck Knows.

1 Like

If it is a washed-up, older Duke Nukem, Arnold would probably be a good choice.

Dolph Lundgren.

5 Likes

Is this one of those intellectual property cases where the rights holders have to use it or lose it, so they’re just making a movie to extend their hold on the rights?

That seems like it would be a mistake…absent the success of said movie the rights don’t really get you anything right now.

It would be a gamble, but it might just be crazy enough to work. A lot of people still have fond memories of the original game.

During roughly the same time you had Interplay with Descent, which while it was an “inside” game also featured a completely 3D world where you moved in all 6 axis.

I think this might have been the highlight of TekWar…

Sounds like what a good amount of a “Johnny Bravo” movie would be like.

1 Like

Yes.

Among others. There was Marathon just before Descent as well.

Descent was full 3d, and had actually functional mouse controls. But to my memory a lot more limited, and not really an FPS. It was more of an arcadey ship/flight sim sort of thing. Ish.

What I was saying is the build engine games were sorta first to the pin on using a group of things that would become standard once full 3d was figured out. Multiple things all at once working. And since they were “2.5d” they didn’t require a separate 3d accelerator.

I don’t think Descent had the interactable objects, scripted player character responses etc. Among other things. But nothing Build Engine did hadn’t been done before, it just did it all together in a way that worked pretty well. Running on pretty bog standard hardware.

A lot of what appeared in Duke 3d had actually already been done by 3d realms a year before Descent in Rise of the Triad. It was a less advanced version of the engine, but they kinda used it all better.

Descent is part of how they got eclipsed so fast. Actual 3d and accelerator cards became broadly available within a couple years of Duke. That drew more on the Descents and Marathons. And then people like Valve started putting actual story telling into FPS and action games.

That had very much been a point and click adventure game and RPG thing previously.

Which was an earlier Build Engine game, though not one developed by 3d realms/Apogee.

While 3d Realms was sorta iterating the same mechanical game with different IP. They were licensing the thing out and publishing other people’s properties.

A lot of the better regarded (and way less problematic) build games weren’t made by 3d Realms.

TekWar and Blood seem to have cult followings. For 3d realms it’s really Rise of the Triad for that.

Duke is just kinda the hit song.

2 Likes

Duke3d’s engine was the only real achievement for it; I need not repeat what everyone else has said about the characters and other elements of it outside of it being a good example of the toxic culture of the day.

Descent’s main technological hallmark was that it was a space flight sim with FPS elements, and that it wrung out rather a lot of performance out of the PCs for that time. (the first two iterations of Descent were not much more than “kill the evil robots, rescue the trapped miners, and GTFO when you killed the level’s boss”- no real interaction outside the standard FPS elements.
Descent III was, IIRC, the first that really demanded an accelerator card, and Descent: Freespace was a space fighting sim in the lines of Wing Commander

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.