These inkless pens are on sale for up to 60% off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/01/these-inkless-pens-are-on-sale.html

I don’t think I’ve ever seen those words used together before in that way.

I’m a lefty and I’ve somehow learned how to write without turning it into a disaster.

And somehow righties have been writing in right to left languages for millennia without suffering from this indignity.

18 Likes

“Shitty expensive pencil”… at least call it what it is.

9 Likes

What is this “writing” you speak of?

4 Likes

I continue to be baffled why the manufacturers of these insist on saddling them with the oxymoron “inkless pens” when they are very literally lead pencils.

Smudged ink can be an issue if you run your hand over slow-drying ink put down with broad-nibbed pens, but since this isn’t the 18th century and no one is writing with quills, it’s not really an issue, especially not with the kind of modern, narrow-point, quick-drying ink pens that are most commonly sold in. every. store.

It is pretty funny to see the imaginary problems invented for this to be a solution to, when it seems like exactly the kind of thing that, if they were common, would be the problem other writing instruments would be sold as solutions to… I mean, it’s a hunk of lead that leaves a faint mark. An invaluable tool for certain highly specific contexts, I’m sure, but…

7 Likes

Yeah, no.

pen1 | pen |
noun
1 an instrument for writing or drawing with ink
[emphasis added]

solid lead != ink

Grrrrrrrrrr.

3 Likes

this again?

8 Likes

How fun, I saw one of his videos yesterday, about brush pens.

1 Like

AKA ‘shading pencil’, yes?

Yeah, these are pencils. Real inkless pens do exist, though, but I usually just throw them in the trash at that point.

6 Likes

— you’re writing with metal.

1 Like

tenor

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.