These prescription lenses look front heavy

My progressives are great for many things but like you for some things it is to awkward to find and maintain the perfect position. I manage with a set of computer glasses and a set of progressives but I may end up like you with more dedicated sets.

6 Likes

I had a pair like that. Now I pay the massive premium to get high refraction index lenses made out of unaffordium. They’re a lot thinner and lighter, but so is my wallet.

7 Likes

20/800 vision here… so, yep. I went with HI lenses also to avoid the ‘tiny eyes’ look and the weight.

My progressive lenses (aka tri-focal) are a blessing. Long-distance, mid-distance, and reading distance are covered. What stopped me for a while was, on principle, the cost of that, especially with HI lenses. It was worth it, though. So convenient.

4 Likes

Hopefully, you won’t end up like Fred Sanford, with dozens of eyeglasses spread throughout the house. :wink:

3 Likes

I have bought multiple packs of reading glasses from Costco, and still can’t find any at least half the time!

5 Likes

Yeah, there have been a number of companies that have tried pushing fluid filled glasses, but I haven’t heard of many successes. Maybe because they are aiming for poorer countries, so don’t hit the media I consume.

Another adjustable lens I just learned about is an Alvarez lens pair that have complicated shapes which change the focal length as they are slid past each other. But the execution for the consumer market hadn’t been that great.

Obviously, there are many different kinds available online, but the link above also shows a cross section of the lenses.

2 Likes

I’ve used high index lenses for a long time to help reduce the thickness and weight of my glasses. One drawback to high-index is increased chromatic aberration, so I actually get a high-ish index but not the highest my optician offers.

Don’t choose frames with oversized lenses. The wider/taller the lens is, the thicker it will be at the edges. Choose frames with some bulk around the edges. Plastic frames hide far more of the thickness than wireframe and rimless.

And if you can afford it: anti-reflective coating and polished edges help lighten the looks of thicker lenses.

4 Likes

Many years ago my optometrist showed me what lenses look like before they’re cut down to fit in a particular frame. Imagine a rounded square with the 4 edges sweeping upward to be the thickest part. Anything you can do to avoid those edges is helpful: smaller frame, rounded rather than square frame (don’t get me started on 1980’s frames!), and then also the point that @aidtopia made, to choose frames that are thick enough to hide most of the lens from the side view.

4 Likes

For a long time, I had “rimless” glasses - the frame was basically a wire that ran along the top of the lenses, and had small fittings for screws that went through the upper part of the lenses to hold them to the frame. Because the frame was so minimal, it didn’t draw attention to the thickness of the lenses, so many people who saw me every day didn’t realize how thick the lenses actually were.

I also had HI lenses; the outer edges were 3/8" to 1/2" thick, while the inner edges were about 1/8". I shudder to think of how heavy they would have been if they were glass.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.