They're never going to get rid of the Postal Service because then who would deliver the scorpions?

No, it’s an ideology. We might believe it to be idiotic, but that’s besides the point. It’s entire, coherent world view that shapes how they view the world. It takes more than eye-rolling and pointing to the fact to change their views. It’s far more akin to deprogramming someone involved in a cult, precisely because it’s so coherent.

7 Likes

dany-this

Without the USPS, there are plenty of people who would be priced out and unable to get their regular mail, because the private carriers aren’t obligated to do this.

The USPS is a public service, not a for-profit business.

17 Likes

Sold! He’ll do it!

2 Likes

It is quite simple:

1. Give in to COVID-19-related pressure, and, in a magnanimous gesture, switch to vote-by-mail for all elections.
  2. Dismantle the post office.
  3. Profit, but you knew that already. Also:
  4. Tenaciously cling onto power, because that’s in their nature.
1 Like

I saw someone elsewhere propose that they should simply announce that a Trump postage stamp is in the works.

4 Likes

That is mostly true, but I work in an office building in a metropolitan area and we don’t get USPS delivery there. However, I can get FedEx and UPS deliveries there. (Well, not now. I mean before the current lockdown.)

It’s my understanding that the USPS delivers the “last mile” to many rural areas because the private carriers won’t/can’t since it isn’t profitable for them. Too far to drive for too few packages being delivered. Without the USPS, no Amazon deliveries for the country folks.

4 Likes

Try walking into a post office with 35 cents and a letter and seeing how far you can mail it.

LPT: make sure you have the correct prices for things.

who would deliver the scorpions?

Somehow when I saw this, the first thing that popped to mind was a Randy Savage-type character growling into a TV camera, “AND I’M GONNA DELIVER THE SCORPIONS!”

Probably just before getting bashed over the head with a ham by some parody of a redneck, setting off a two-year-long feud culminating in parody-of-a-redneck being betrayed by his beautiful waif girlfriend because of course she’s just too pretty for a stupid hillbilly and he should have known better but he was just too blinded by her beauty and now he’s being beaten with a chair by her real boyfriend who’s not-so-secretly cheating with her half-sister and –

Wait, what were talking about? Oh yeah, scorpions. No, sorry, I won’t deliver those. That only leads to stereotypes and drama.

2 Likes

You can send a postcard for that much though, and you don’t even have to walk into a post office to do it. FedEx and UPS can’t come close to that.

3 Likes

Which tells me that they won’t do it even if it becomes the only option. Not all things in life are about making a profit, nor should it be. Somethings need to get done to make our society run. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Good Advice:

4 Likes

The Post Office, like clean water and driveable roads, is another example of a public good that folks like Trump would destroy if they couldn’t squeeze a profit out of it somehow, including selling it off to the highest bidder.

5 Likes

The country folks will have to drive 20+ miles to the nearest place where UPS/FEDEX do a once-a-week drop off.

1 Like

Communist! /s

1 Like

Which is my point. A letter costs 55 cents. A post card costs 35 cents. The person I replied to said letter, not post card.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.