Speaker Nancy Pelosi +174 House Democrats tell Trump's Postmaster General to reverse changes that threaten mail-in voting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/pelosi-174-house-dems-tell-tr.html

10 Likes

It’s frankly a miracle that the Post Office works as well as it does considering that Republicans have been doing everything in their power to destroy it for decades.

And the services they provide are really an astounding value compared to the free market alternatives. For 35 cents you can send a postcard from some tiny settlement in rural Alaska and have a uniformed government employee hand-deliver it to a private residence in American Samoa.

66 Likes

All very nice, I’m sure, but that and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

12 Likes

Good luck with that.

1 Like

This is an important fight.

It’s not sexy, won’t get any headlines, but this is an important fight.

The USPS is the ONLY organization that delivers to EVERY address in the US, six days a week, without fail.

Until now… when it has been saddled with regulations no private industry must endure and hobbled by hostile political appointees who have no loyalty other than to the orange sh!tgibbon who appointed them.

52 Likes

One team is committing treason. The other is writing strongly worded letters. Cool.

35 Likes

The problem is that with the shitstains controlling the Executive and half the Legislative branches, that’s about all they really can do at this point.

15 Likes

The dems could easily be at least as obstructive as the republicans were during the Obama admin. And they wouldn’t even have to resort to racism.

12 Likes

It’s a lot easier to be an obstructionist when your political rivals are working within the rule of law and are trying to create services rather than destroy them.

An analogy: when the Dems were in charge, they kept trying to build a sand castle while the Republicans were kicking sand in their faces. Now that the Republicans are in charge, their goal is to run up and down the beach knocking over existing castles while the Democrats do their best to run interference.

40 Likes

Oooh, another stern letter from the Dems. That’ll turn things around.

20 Likes

Many things irk me about government, but toothless letters written by congresscritters really piss me off.

Yes concerned citizens, we hear your pain, we’ll write a letter. You’ll feel better after it’s sent…

Spare me.

8 Likes

Except mine, actually. For some godforsaken reason, we are one of only, like 3 ZIP codes that don’t get mailbox delivery. We get a free PO Box, though and the Post Office is a short walk away.

But your point stands. It is a critical service that no for-profit entity is ever going to replicate. Their goal is the same as the Tories and National Health; gut the program and sell off the assets to their cronies in no-bid closed door deals.

13 Likes

The fact that this letter, as weak as it is, was only supported by Democrats is also a big problem. This should not in any way be a partisan issue.

23 Likes

In an era when freaking GERM THEORY has somehow become a partisan issue I guess nothing is out of bounds anymore.

35 Likes

A strongly worded letter … which will probably never get delivered.

Where’s Kevin Costner when you need him?

9 Likes

:musical_note:
I don’t mess with keys or locks
I just slip it in your box!
I’m your mailman!
:notes:
I can come in any kind of
wea-ther,
That’s because my bag is made of lea-ther
:musical_note:
Bang your knockers,
Ring your bell,
I am great
'Cuz I am swell
I’m your mail man!
I’m your Mail man!
:notes: :musical_note:

tune of “Bye Bye Blackbird”
author unknown

4 Likes

Not asking for your address- but what is in your ZIP? You live on a special volcanic island in a secret lagoon in a haunted atoll…hidden somehow in the middle of New Jersey, I’ll bet.

Alaska?

Now I’m curious.

4 Likes

Do tell what more they could do that would pass the Senate and the Presidential veto. It’s ok; we’ll wait while you think about it.

The House of Representatives has essentially 2 powers; the power to impeach the president and the power to control the purse strings. They tried the first one and we all saw how well that worked out. What more can they do? Cut the Post Office’s funding? Do they even control that?

7 Likes

The Postal Service is in the Constitution. We’ve already seen that the Repubs hate the Constitution. Except for one, tiny, obsolete change to it.

12 Likes

You mean by blocking approval of appointments, filibustering legislation in the Senate, and having the Supreme Court run interference?

5 Likes