Trump vs. the U.S. Postal Service: Democrats demand investigation of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s cost-cutting and investments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/trump-vs-the-u-s-postal-serv.html

8 Likes

Trump is cheating the fuck out of the 2020 election. What are the Dems doing about it?

What? A sternly worded memo? A toothless investigation?

43 Likes

Too little, too late. They should have been on top of this shit from the beginning.

18 Likes

Trump: Does very clearly illegal things
Democrats: “YOu can’t do that! That’s illegal!”
Trump: Continues to do illegal things
Democrats: “We’re really upset about that”
Trump: “I can do whatever I want.”
Democrats: “You just wait until we don’t do anything and you get voted out”
Trump: “Can’t get voted out if I disenfranchise most of the country.”

41 Likes

So, again, if you’re getting a mail-in or absentee ballot…if possible, take it to your city or county clerk instead of putting it in the mail (if you’re able). Otherwise, fill that puppy out the day you get it, and mail it back the next day.

33 Likes

4asfxu

33 Likes

Postal IG Whitcomb’d better update her resume.

2 Likes

Once more, with feeling: there’s almost nothing the Dems can do BUT investigations. They don’t control the senate, so they can’t pass bills to fix the problem because the Turtle will ignore them. They can’t impeach, because the senate won’t impose punishments. The only thing they SHOULD add to their arsenal is contempt of Congress, locking people up who refuse to testify. Other than that… there’s nothing they can do if they don’t also control the senate.

Vote. If you don’t get a ballot, go vote. If you get a ballot but the election is within a few weeks, drop it off in person if you can, or go vote in person instead. He can fuck with the postal system, but he can’t stop us from another blue wave.

20 Likes

I really don’t think we’ve seen anything like the civil unrest we will see if he wins by obviously stealing the election. He may need to build that wall around the White House a little higher.

9 Likes

The problem to solve is this. If he steals the election there will be a lot of loud and very vocal grumbling and some civilised court actions. It’s in the nature of the civilised people who want him out and who value the institutions and traditions of democracy. The other side though, if the shoe were on the other foot? They don’t give a fuck about institutions, are heavily armed and will take direct action. There are only two possible outcomes. Fascism or civil war. Time to start planning serious strategies and tactics to address this problem.

11 Likes

Gun sales are hot right now.

5 Likes

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

If you haven’t, consider canvassing for. a candidate, writing officials, making campaign contributions, protesting, striking, or more.

8 Likes

But that’s playing fair! /s

Feeling that fair is not going to cut it this time around.

6 Likes

Does anyone else here recall George O. Smith’s Venus Equilateral opener QRM Interplanetary?

The technology is very 1947 (pre-transistor) but the story isn’t really about technology, but how new “clean broom” management can totally hose critical communictions.

I think I’ll reread this weekend.

5 Likes

You left out a coup. Most people just assume that the military will support Trump, but there are signs that the officer corps is recalling their oaths of office so …

4 Likes

Yes, it makes sense that there is a possible third option where the Senate Republicans realize that supporting lame-duck Trump is suicidal, the military might just completely ignore his edicts, and the judiciary blocks most of what he wants to do.

He could just be quarantined for four miserable years. Depressing thought, but not as depressing as civil war, granted.

4 Likes

Throw out all the weeds and put in proper air producing machinery, in our space station!

1 Like

Yes, a coup is possible. But also likely to trigger civil war. Would the well-armed militia-ed right tolerate a military ousting of Trump? Would half the military agree or oppose? Would all the anti-Trump democrats (lower case D) tolerate a military in charge, from either of the likely military factions with the levers of power?

2 Likes

Why is it that people seem to think that only the loonies on the right are well armed? Just because people on the left don’t play gun-fetish dress-up doesn’t mean that they don’t have guns. It just means that people don’t KNOW they have guns.

6 Likes
2 Likes