Trump tweets he'll kill Nevada's federal funds if state votes by mail, after threatening state of Michigan with the same

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/trump-tweets-hell-kill-nevad.html

6 Likes

The GOP is actively trying to kill it’s own base so this isn’t all that surprising.

30 Likes

One does get the feeling that mail-in votes are messing with his plans.

40 Likes

Expect armed protesters shouting “Mah raghts!” on the steps of the Capitol any second now…

20 Likes
  1. Imagine you knew for a fact that instead of stupidity this a strategic move to lay the groundwork for actual fascist takeover of the US.
  2. Act like (1) is true even though it isn’t.
59 Likes
  1. Even though it is.
37 Likes

as a nevadan, this is patently not true. we already allow absentee voting by mail, and are only doing all mail-in voting this time because of the coronavirus. he can’t hold up federal funding for this.

35 Likes

Hmm, if only there were a political party that was big on States’ Rights to oppose the president…

48 Likes

I think he might hold up Federal Funding if an owl flies three times around the Whitehouse. He seems to be going full decadent Roman Emperor.

29 Likes

sims-trump

65 Likes

Same with your western neighbor: in CA the governor has already declared all voting in November will be by mail. In normal times, one could request an exception to be added to the permanent vote-by-mail list. It’s the most civilized voting process of any of the states I’ve lived.

17 Likes

I live in a state that has done mail in votes for ages. I am completely perplexed why this is a big issue because I love it. I research every single race, and fill out my vote, and mail it off. It’s made me a consistent voter in every election because I feel I can inform myself on all issues on the ballot.

41 Likes

Because the mail can’t decide if your district or melanin content or choice of bathroom is wrong, that’s why. It’s so fair it’s practically undemocratic. /s

41 Likes

For some reason, every idiotic move that the orange clown makes seems to please his base even more. The attitude seems to be that they would rather burn the entire country to the ground if Trump’s every whim is not satisfied.

3 Likes

You answered your own question. The GOP wants fewer (easily led) voters, not more who are likely to vote them out of power.

23 Likes

Notification: this meme is being coopted and reused per the “Meme Notification Act” of 2017. All rights to the creator will be included if provided, otherwise not.

4 Likes

Hence the classic:

10 Likes

“Burn it down to the ground” has been an (unofficial) platform for the GOP since Reagan.
But Trump anti-vote stance is a new disturbing trend. At least previously they tried - at least publicly - to abide by a legit polling process.

3 Likes

I too live in CA and have done mail-in voting for more than a decade. It’s the most painless process, you don’t have to find your voting poll or drive there or stand in line to vote. You get your ballot long before it’s due and you have lots of time to look at the issues/races and make an informed decision. I don’t know why this isn’t done in all 50? But then again, being stupid isn’t against the law here either.

9 Likes

My friend’s mother-in-law is angrily protesting vote by mail on her Facebook, for reasons she doesn’t seem to want to articulate. But there’s a lot of flag emojis involved.

26 Likes