This 1080p webcam is the video upgrade your online meetings desperately needs

Relevant:

3 Likes

OK, so the images don’t look quite as good as I remember… but still better than modern laptop webcams, at least in some ways. Less smeary, at least!

This is a tough one. I don’t require my team to use their camera because I want to be sensitive to introverts who have found themselves stuck in this crazy remote work situation and have to have microphones and cameras in their faces all day, but I (and the other managers) set an example by always having our cameras on, for every meeting, because I cannot count the times that a misunderstanding was avoided by being able to see the expressions of people on the other side of a conversation.

This has grown only more true now that my team includes people from all over the world.

Not using a camera has consequences, the same way that a real-life conversation, phone conversation, and text conversation have vastly different levels of context due to lack of visual and then aural cues respectively. Phone calls do not replace in-person meetings 1:1 even before the pandemic, and the same holds true for “audio-only” zoom meetings vs audio/video zoom meetings.

So true! I grabbed a Logitech 1080p camera as soon as the crazy mad pandemic rush for them subsided. Best choice I could have made.

6 Likes

I strongly suspect that beaming a high-def image of my mug onto my colleagues’ screens would not be considered to be an upgrade.

5 Likes

Most meetings are vastly better served by having a relevant screen-share up. But when you need video it would be nice for it to be clear. My work-issued Dell XPS laptop screams for an external camera for the simple reason that the camera is mounted down at the BOTTOM of the monitor on the left, about in inch from the escape key. It both gives you the least flattering up-nostril, chin waggle framing as well as giant scary - and distracting - typing hands if you try to type during a meeting.

3 Likes

That’s fair - and so are all your points. I appreciate your flexibility with those on your team.

I take more offense to the blanket statement in the ad copy arguing “camera should be on, or you are a bad person”.

I’d say this is definitely the case with 99% of the meetings I’m in. Content is king. Gimmicky walls of cameras are a waste of network and CPU.

3 Likes

Absolutely. There are many valid reasons for not wanting it on.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.