This 1970 ABC Evening News promo is insane

Originally published at: This 1970 ABC Evening News promo is insane | Boing Boing

3 Likes

After the titles, it cuts to Howard K Smith at the ABC Headquarters in Washington,“Um… [Howard shuffles his script pages and looks around apologetically]… er… there’s not really anything to report today…”

7 Likes

This probably could have used a little warning about the flashing lights in the first couple seconds of the video.

6 Likes

Who’d have thought those would have been the “good old days” for America, what with the absence in the promo of resurgent fascism, direct effects of the climate emergency, and extreme economic inequality.

2 Likes

insane, yes. INSANELY AMAZING

3 Likes

This is actually pretty damn cool vintage design. I liked it.

3 Likes

It reaches a crescendo of cringe when the jungle-print word “ASIA” comes on-screen, announced by a gong.

3 Likes

OH! Absolutely love this, had never seen (or ‘experienced’) it, thank you for sharing. It’s awesome.

2 Likes

Wow. So this was the framing of the world when I was 7. That explains a lot, including why I latched onto Heinlein’s Farnham’s Freehold a few years later.

1 Like

I miss Peter Jennings. :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Season 4 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

1 Like

When the attack actually occurs the group, along with Joe, the family’s black servant, retreat to the fallout shelter beneath the house

… okay I’m out :unamused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.