This AI-generated portrait just sold at auction for $432K, but not without controversy

Selling product as process is a toughie. Maybe the more process-intensive artists can recoup some money/reputation from a documentary about their process? I mean, Rivers and Tides is the only Andy Goldsworthy joint I personally spent money on…

2 Likes

I think the painting looks creepy. Not sure if I like it or not.

1 Like

Shredding frame sold seperately.

1 Like

The OP didn’t have the line that made me LOL this morning reading the NYTimes article,

the strongest response after the announcement of the auction came from other artists who work with AI, many of whom have said that the portrait is unoriginal

3 Likes

“‘The algorithm is composed of two parts,’ says Caselles-Dupré. ‘On one side is the Generator, on the other the Discriminator. We fed the system with a data set of 15,000 portraits painted between the 14th century to the 20th. The Generator makes a new image based on the set…”

If one fed such a system with data set portraits of the Trumps, their mouthpieces, goons, sycophants, and lapdogs, the result would be an image of a mangy, cankerous, warthog… unhinged and sporting a puny diseased penis.

I truly believe this.

2 Likes

“… This portrait, however, is not the product of a human mind. It was created by an artificial intelligence, an algorithm defined by that algebraic formula with its many parentheses.”

So if not a human mind, then what conceived the algorithm?

“No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope
studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered
the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds
immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and
surely, they drew their plans against us.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.