Brazen forgery was art world's "most brilliant" con

[Read the post]

1 Like

Is anyone working on a system that makes a 3D color scan of an oil painting, and then recreates it, layer by layer in a 3D oil paint printer? If not, support my kickstarter…

3 Likes

First thing I though was “lens on the left is definitely sharper, but the softer rendering of the one in the right is not unflattering for portraits”.

I might be reading too many gear reviews lately.

1 Like

I’m fascinated by the con artists that can reproduce period artifacts with incredible accuracy.

Mark Hoffman notoriously manufactured his own iron-based ink for forging 19th century documents.

editofcoursetherewasafuckingtypo

I think we’re at the point where, frankly, most forgeries get caught when seriously inspected – and it’s because of chemical and other measurable aberrations that only become more easily detected as time goes by. the 3d-printed clone would LOOK perfect and trick visual inspectors, but it’s the sort of thing that fails all other proverbial (and likely literal!) sniff tests.

2 Likes

The one on the right is a paintover I did in photoshop.

Traditional forgery is often accomplished by a similar technique: you project a photo of the painting onto canvas. It’s good for the basics, at least. Photoshop gives you perfect color, too! CON: you can’t sell a PSD to the Russians.

1 Like

Not bad! I actually though it was a detail from a bona fide fake painting (now there’s a contradiction) someone tried to sell as real. Not necessarily the masterpiece-grade one from the article.

Not for that kind of money, anyway. Maybe at Fiverr/Mechanical Turk prices.

1 Like

It’s weird, but establishment “high school” (6th form) art education in the UK, at least until the 1990s, was ‘copy this master painting’ over and over for 2 years. So at 30 I was like, ‘wait, what, I’m a competent art forger? this is … cool’

6 Likes

see they did try to give you job skills :smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.