This animated video of light pulses from Earth make it clear how far away Mars is

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/19/this-animated-video-of-light-p.html

8 Likes

Well, space is big.

9 Likes

And you thought it was a long walk to the chemists.

13 Likes

That’s just peanuts.

10 Likes

Um, Mars is not at a fixed distance from the earth…

Still, it is a nice visualization.

1 Like

The video specifically lists the Earth-Moon distance and the average distance and the Earth-Mars distance as closest approach. It’s in the lower left-hand corner.

7 Likes

My point is that the distance can differ by nearly an order of magnitude, which, to me, is more interesting.

1 Like

Okay. :man_shrugging:

Celestial mechanics is great, but that’s not what this video is about.

4 Likes

tl;dr - why can’t you just do one at Warp speed?

1 Like

Obviously not scientific, rather an analysis of fan theory and inconsistent canon, but you might enjoy this…

6 Likes

“Are we there yet?”
“What about now?”
“What about now?”
“Are we there yet?”
“Are we there yet?”
“Are we?”
“Are we?”
“What about now?”

Space is too damn big for photons to take family vacations.

9 Likes

“Don’t make me pull this beam over!”

(Though of course in their own frame of reference time is frozen.)

8 Likes

So they’re already there, or…?

5 Likes

We’ll get there when we get there!

5 Likes

Well, anything moving in the reference frame of a light-speed particle would be unable to experience time at all. If a traveler could somehow travel at the speed of light, they’d have no experience of the journey, so for the photon one could say its entire world-line from emission to absorption “happens” at once, though in another sense nothing happens in its reference frame at all. Of course there’s no good way to discuss happening because the language of causality is developed from our own (very) tardyonic experiences.

5 Likes

9 Likes

3 Likes

Isn’t the speed of light the maximum speed which anything that lacks mass travels in a vacuum, in our universe anyway? So these could represent radio waves as well, ya?

1 Like
2 Likes

Or, light is slow.