This BBC video shows the science-tested way to make the ultimate cup of tea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/22/this-bbc-video-shows-the-scien.html

3 Likes

I just want to make clear for the audience that @frauenfelder is probably the wrong person to talk to about tea.

(That’s right, I remember.)

38 Likes

Drink Barry’s.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Roger That!

4 Likes

8NmpoeE

9 Likes

Douglas Adams did it better:
http://www.h-tea-o.net/newsletter/G001DouglasAdams/teatalk/

6 Likes

I had to rewind there in disbelief: she brewed her tea for 30 seconds?? 30 SECONDS?

What kind of callous [british slang] disrepects TEA in such a manner???

11 Likes

Yay. Another tea debate thread.

16 Likes

Well, while we’re at it, George Orwell had some strong opinions about tea himself:

7 Likes

Tea is mud.
– James Bond

2 Likes

Obligatory

13 Likes

blackadder-third-funny-quotes

6 Likes

Five minutes? Always? For every variety of tea? NO. Just NO. The time depends on the cut, type, grade, and water temperature.

If you’re putting cream and/or sugar in your tea you probably made it wrong or don’t like tea.

And another thing, enough with the antioxidants. Move on to some new B.S.

Ok, sorry I got hot there. It’s just that it’s awkward being a tea drinker in a world of Starbucks junkies.

13 Likes

Also, it’s some bad shit for the planet.

5 Likes

This.

IMHO, water temp. appropriateness for type of tea is the biggie. If you use boiling water on a nice jasmine oolong, you’re overheating it, and you’re going to miss a lot of the nice herby and floral notes. On the flip side, if you don’t heat black teas enough, you’re going to be missing out on a lot of flavors as well.

I’ve got a friend who swears by pre-rinsing the leaves, then letting them sit for a bit to rehydrate first. I’m a patient man, but not that patient. He’s a guy who the making of the tea is a big part of the enjoyment though…

6 Likes

Is it a good source of Brownian Motion?

8 Likes

Remarkably similar advice delivered by Dame Maggie Smith:

4 Likes

Step 1 - Make tea however you damn well please.
Step 2 - Tip tea out.
Step 3 - Make coffee*.

But if it is after 4pm: “Sure I’ll have a cup of tea. Strong, black, no sugar, but if there’s a slice of lemon going that’d be great. thanks.”

*don’t fuck around with Step 3. Use a good espresso machine or an Aeropress. Grind beans daily. Make sure said beans have been roasted in the last few weeks. USE GOOD BEANS.