This BBC video shows the science-tested way to make the ultimate cup of tea

I already care too much about how my coffee is prepared, I simply don’t have the mental energy to care about hot leaf water this much. But cheers if you do.

Milk is one thing. Spot of milk is fantastic, depending on the tea. But cream… that’s a bridge too far.

Actually an issue for me in my office, as the sort of coffee creamer designed not to be refrigerated or powdered is just… wrong for tea.

Admittedly, it might be wrong for coffee too. I freely own that I don’t actually like coffee, and so load it up with milk, or cream if it’s about, and sugar.

God I hate this. I ordered a cup of tea at a quite spendy restaurant once (I wasn’t paying, thank god), expecting that maybe in the nice, fancy place I would get a proper cup of tea. But no. I got a selection of very expensive, fancy tea bags, the kind with proper tea leaves in, instead of just dust… and a pot full of too-cold water to ruin them in.

Fortunately I have found a local place that will pour boiling water into a largish glass container, with a strainer full of loose leaves and give you the result.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I actually have a giant box of PG tips in my cupboard thank you very much!

(but since it’s black tea, it gets the boiling water treatment, not the below boiling treatment that green teas get…)

1 Like

Not being British, but merely an American who prefers tea to coffee, I didn’t know any of this. Obviously I’ve been doing it all wrong…BUT, if you wait for five minutes before drinking, won’t the tea have gone cold? Or at least be seriously lukewarm? Especially if served in the more ornate thin-walled teacups? Just asking.

If you are drinking from a teacup then you make the tea in a pot (with optional teacosy).

2 Likes

@L0ki beat me to it. The correct answer, of course, is:
Frisians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/travel/in-northern-germany-a-robust-tea-culture.html

Depends on the cup/mug. And if it was pre-heated, of course.

I, for one, own a couple of Dewar-like tea glasses which are just great for a strong cuppas. Or perfectly tempered green teas.

Just before you ask: I just left a lot of money at a Tea Gschwendner. It would make no sense at all to have the wrong equipment. And it’s one of the few luxuries I can allow myself.

1 Like

7d6a632239b482d9c36fbbbee09d1809ff6000b8_1_690x499%5B1%5D

3 Likes

I have heard this rant multiple times, always from someone British who moved to Canada and is appalled at what restaurants here call tea.

ETA: this exact rant. Not something similar. This.

2 Likes

If you want, I can give you this exact rant in German.

2 Likes

ENOUGH! This BBC video shows how to make tea properly.

1 Like

This is out of compliance with ISO 3103,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.