This "beautiful" New York home is $800,000... just don't look inside

Sometimes they can be recovered, flooded again and re-recovered.

That’s Warwick Road in Carlisle, flooded in 2005 and 2015. The statue is of Hughie McIlmoyle and was designed so that he would walk on water if there was ever a flood as bad as the one in 2005.

8 Likes

Actually looks like masonry walls rather than brick veneer. There are headers in the bond, which likely means that there are two layers of brick so that the brick is self supporting (for one story). There will also be wood framing behind the brick to give something for the drywall to be attached to, space for wiring, and a paltry amount of insulation. That construction was fairly common on the East Coast in the 50s, before builders switched to one layer of brick supported by the wood frame.

edited to add: The shocker here is not that somebody is selling a flood damaged fixer-upper. Stuff happens. The shocker for those of us outside the NYC area is that a modest, post war, currently unlivable extreme fixer-upper is listed for $800k. In much of the country, that is what you would pay for a McMansion. Even in the pricey parts of the DC area, not known for being cheap, that will at least get you a liveable modest post war house

3 Likes

The woman asks late in the video how it is that the outside looks so much better. Something I was sure of from the start of the video and now confirm: the only well kempt thing in this entire presentation, the front lawn, is photoshopped. Look at the clouds, then at the lawn.

3 Likes

I noticed that too.
This photo has been seriously and peculiarly altered.

2 Likes

I’m in the SF Bay Area - I live in a neighborhood surrounded by thoroughly unimpressive $800K+ houses. The houses are livable, but it’s also a crappy neighborhood. Even in a pricier neighborhood, it still seems a bit high for a total tear-down on a lot that doesn’t seem all that large, considering it’s apparently in a flood-prone area.

3 Likes

Neglect plus water seepage looks like the likely culprit. Which brings the filth covering everything.

City of phoenix, IIRC, has the “one wall” rule, which I’ve seen in person. (the trick is you knock down three of the four walls, re-build the house, then knock that one wall down and replace it. :slight_smile: )

This house? total loss. rip it all out and start over. (I have no idea if 800K is a good price for a lot in that area, but to the right person, it might be…)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.