Skinny, tall, ultramodern home on 16-foot wide piece of land

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/19/skinny-tall-ultramodern-home.html

8 Likes

So… four story trailer house :thinking:

/s

In seriousness, I salute the innovative thinking. The asking price… not so much.

14 Likes

Narrow, with an added blob:

even narrower, but very long:

6 Likes

4-story trailer house vs 11’ 8" bridge.

20 Likes

Ever been to Amsterdam?

11 Likes

Ingenious build, but it’s a fucking eyesore and totally incongruous with the rest of the neighborhood.

7 Likes

Did they tax by house width, too? Like they did in oldenburg, Germany?

1 Like

Wouldn’t fly in most places because of zoning issues, I would imagine.

1 Like

Wanted to watch the video but the shaky camera did me in after a minute or so. I don’t see how the house in the photo could be worth $3M though… Is that a typical price in Toronto?? I feel like I’m priced out of all cities of any size.

8 Likes

Ironically, from what he describes, it is like it is because of Toronto’s zoning rules.

I would have put some kind of porch up there somewhere, but it does look like a nice living space.

2 Likes

That’s the thing.
That was a poor person’s house in a working class neighborhood.
There is no room in western cities for workers any more because there is no place for work.

4 Likes

Yeah, in Victoria, BC the city itself approved this kind of house. I know because I lived on the block and there was a city owned odd-sized lot on the corner. They wanted to sell it but no one would buy because it was too small to build on. The city compromised. The house is still there.

I just looked it up. It’s a lot like this but two storeys plus basement.

5 Likes

Yep. Narrow row houses built for workers are quite common in San Francisco and Asian countries. After having been in a few my conclusion is that you need enough width to have hallways wide enough to move furniture. Many of these have no hallways so you have to walk through room after room moving from the front to the back, making roomate situations quite awkward.

1 Like

Diversity makes us stronger. Monoculture is dead.

8 Likes

In Baltimore, a 16-foot-wide rowhouse is on the spacious end. There are entire neighborhoods where most houses are 10-12 feet wide.

5 Likes

Everybody’s home looks lovely and spacious…when there’s no stuff in it.

I would not want to grow old in that home.

5 Likes

Yes. Canadian dollars, I’m sure, but still USD$2million+ for what looks like a maximum 600sqf home plus the lot. Typical for any global alpha-level city.

Stairs + old people = ticking time bomb

14 Likes

9 Likes

It’s a real shame that they weren’t allowed to build the green roof. That would have taken the cake!

5 Likes

3 Million Dollars?!?! GTFO with that overpriced crap.

9 Likes