London's thinnest house for sale

Originally published at: London's thinnest house for sale | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Better than a $750k derelict garden shed, I suppose, but the stairs … the stairs.

11 Likes

how much of that 1000 sf is stairwell?

13 Likes

That is definitely not a house for someone who likes a pint or two.

7 Likes

Turin: Hold my beer…

8 Likes

Not as much as you’d think based on the floorplan.

6 Likes

From the look of that spiral staircase, I think all the furniture on the upper floors was built there.

4 Likes

Huh, my first thought was to get it and open an incredibly tiny pub on the first floor; call it “Seven Occupant Max, Fine Ale and Spirits” or something.

6 Likes

Notice that none of the photos show the actual steps of the stairways. Not only are most of them double winders, but I think there’s a good chance that they have risers bigger than their runs. The counterweighted trap door into the master bedroom is…unusual.

Well it DOES say that the bed in the master bedroom is a built in. I’m guessing that you are limited to “bed in a box” type roll up mattresses.

2 Likes

The traditional method to bring furniture into the Amsterdam canal houses, which also have very narrow staircases, is via a hoist through the window- the houses have a hook on the front to attach a pulley.

Nowadays movers are more likely to park an external lift on the street outside:

27 Likes

Thank you for letting me dream for a bit. It’s a super cute space, and despite not a lot of room in each room, it’s a really neat overall layout. I’d really enjoy living there.

12 Likes

I loved it until I imagined falling through the trap door in the main bedroom

6 Likes

It such a tiny shop. They should make some specific bespoke product, just like one thing, and sell it. Or maybe several small things. Like a gum store. Or a pen store.

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, the top floor window sill does look kinda bashed up.

1 Like

The balcony in the bedroom over looking the bathtub is … interesting.

5 Likes

I really wanted to like this house, because I admire quirky architecture. However, having only one bathroom, which happens to be located three floors above the kitchen, is a total deal-breaker.

And yeah, the prospect of falling through a hole in your bedroom floor when you wake up to pee is not exactly my idea of charming.

5 Likes

Years ago I looked at an apartment in Paris that was a studio that had been combined with another studio downstairs. There was a giant hole in the living room floor that led to a tiny ladder down to the bedroom. Younger and totally sober me barely made it down to the bottom floor. I asked the agent whether the prior resident died in a fall, and how many previous residents went out the same way. No thanks!

4 Likes
7 Likes

I looked at the pictures. Pass. There isn’t enough room for a decent Boba Fett collection.

3 Likes

35 years later:

Oh! What a nice office space! He has a door that closes! Niiiice!

(I can only imagine what Mr. Buttle would have thought of some of the office spaces that I’ve inhabited over the years…)

(Edited to add: I’m sure many of the companies that I’ve worked for would have insisted on using that office for 2-3 people…)

4 Likes