London's thinnest house for sale

When I make my Eleventy Billion Dollars, I would totally dig on a place like that in London. And with the garden and the roof terrace, as long as it was just you – or you and and a partner who you genuinely like – it would be a fun space.

1 Like

The unusual property, originally a Victorian hat shop

I sincerely hope they sold these:

3 Likes

It looks about four feet wide in front, and the interior shots seem twice as big, which was making me think the house was actually a TARDIS until I saw the floorplans and realized it’s narrower in front. I’m still a little unclear how there’s three floors above the ground floor, though.

1 Like

Think thinner. Sell single envelopes or postcards.

3 Likes

You and your partner after 3 days there: Stop breathing down my neck!

1 Like

Indeed. My guess is that the third floor is very low and the window is a sort of dormer hidden behind the lip of the top

You can see those hidden top floors from the other side of the road on other buildings in the row.

4 Likes

This house could work, perhaps if combined with the fifth dimension thread, as the current three clearly aren’t enough.

2 Likes

Judging by the floor plan, (which is hard to scroll and zoom on my iPad.) the stairwell is about half the size of one of those tiny bedrooms. So 24 sq ft.* 5= 10 percent of the total floor area, assuming that total floor area includes stairwells.

Is it thin or narrow?

3 Likes

I think the first floor is below the ground floor street level. The garden in back that the dining area opens onto is below grade.

ETA: Nope. I got it wrong.

1 Like

From the photos, the third floor (fourth floor to us USAnians) is a sort of loft over the second floor. That row of vertical bricks in the pediment is the “window” visible in the interior shots. I’m guessing that the dotted rectangles in the plan are skylights.

2 Likes

So the floor level of the top floor is very close to the top of the third floor window. There’s a smaller window hidden in the brickwork above that:

The angle of the street level photo makes it look like the building is shorter than it really is.

6 Likes

Yes, very.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ - you have NO room and you decide to get a lamp on a tripod that has to be the largest possible footprint for lamp you can ask for.

5 Likes

A wider brim and you couldn’t get it out of the shop.

3 Likes

The estate agent probably prefers ‘slimline profile’.

5 Likes

You have a rewarding future in branding!

1 Like

I did have once. Then I retired to spend more time with my pension.

8 Likes

no garage? forget it.

You could bus/tube to most places in London faster (and cheaper) than you could drive and park. Why would you need to own a car?

4 Likes