This “changing room illusion” made me realize how unobservant I am

Agreed, it’s just a simple editing trick that’s more ‘lol we’re fucking with you’ and less ‘check out this clever thing’. It tickles the edges of a perceptual blindspot without being an actual engineered scenario, which sucks because the reveal is the best part of an illusion (as opposed to a magic trick). This hamstrings the rewarding part entirely.

1)Hey, check out this room.
2)c8625458-0387-46ff-9b41-5c647f85f430_text
3)DiD yOu NoTiCe tHe CuRtAiN iDiOt

1 Like

So the post titled “changing room illusion” gave the expectation of a still photo. Rob is a genius at misdirection!

This. That’s what I expected. So I scanned for still images out of place, though I wondered why science toys would be out of place here. I did notice the yoga ball, but it didn’t register to full conscious attention, because I’m doing this on a smartphone in pitch darkness with no glasses. (Left eye is okay, but right eye has become unusable at this distance.)

Tool.

I was actually a little confused and freaked out by all the vague, fuzzy things in the room. There were so many I was struggling to keep up with what was happening.

But that stuff is absolutely normal for a science lab waiting room.

I’m in the wrong field!

1 Like

We had a fluorescent ‘magic lamp’ that flickered, but only when you weren’t looking straight at it.

Most of the precision viewing we do is in the degree or so around the optic axis of the eye. The eye’s optics are pretty poor off that line, and we have less cells in the retina off the axis because we don’t need them. This lack of focus also means we are better at noticing changes in average light levels in our peripheral vision. So, if we see a flicker in the corner of our eyes, that gives us a strong urge to look that way. That’s how the ‘magic lamp’ worked. If you fixate on an object, and don’t allow your eyes to move as they want, you will find the edge of your vision will fade as the information gets out of date. This is called the Fechner effect (he had several).

What’s an illusion? A lot of illusions are videos these days. You look at them once; you are told what to look for; you look again, and see something different. Many of them also demonstrate how our vision works.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.