This compilation of the world’s worst websites will make your head hurt

Thanks. I had skimmed that essay several years ago, now I took the time to go through it in detail.

“Chickenshit Minimalism” has if anything gotten worse. It’s the curse of tech users everywhere.

1 Like

This is why they outlawed Adobe GoLive.

easypreview_th

On the other hand I took a clubs website that was pretty much hand written and at the time poorly maintained and converted it to a wordpress site. The original author said wordpress was not fit for purpose and I can see his point. However, the new site reduced the menu options/button arrays on three sides of the page down to one menu, fixed other design issues, added online sign up forms, events calendar, catalogs of species and a whole host of other functionality without writing any code which is great but also a bloated slow loading mess. The good side is if I get hit by a bus someone else that has used wordpress before will be able to continue.
Someday there will hopefully be a CMS which lots of easy to activate functionality and just enough layout tools that produces small streamed line pages (and is cheap - unlikely to get all three I know) and I’ll jump ship to it. Facebook and similar social media platforms don’t fit the bill. There seems to be a perfusion of club management software at the moment but most is not cheap or very flexible outside of the sport or type of club they want to support.

Who needs this new-fangled “DSL”? My first website was optimized for dialup (and I included a little “This web site created with Notepad” tag).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.