This computer is never obsolete

[Read the post]

3 Likes

It has a Celeron processor. It came off the factory line obsolete.

15 Likes

If all components were replaced - is it still the same computer?

11 Likes

Only if you subscribe to some kind of dualist philosophy. I have several ships of Theseus in a Beowulf cluster calculating my local weather model.

18 Likes

Sweet! It comes with AOL absolutely free? Sign me up!

15 Likes

It’ll never be obsolete in the sense that you can use it as a doorstop, or a blunt object to throw at a zombie’s head.

6 Likes

Or integrated as a control system in some big machine. There are many PC-XT machines still happily chugging on in such duties.

8 Likes

For varying definitions of “This”

1 Like

Well…

The fine print says it’s magic non-obsolescence comes from the fact 1) it has the internets, so that stays fresh and 2) you can replace it every 2 years for $99. In fifteen years when Apple copies this you cusswords are gonna think it’s genius.

Assuming that deal is still going (we can hope, right?) then the computer’s great-great-etc-child should be carrying a proud legacy by now, the family’s motto Numquam Obsolete finely embroidered above its mantlepiece.

Carry on, sweet prince. Let them laugh.

10 Likes

Something something lifehacker something install Linux.

8 Likes

The AGP card made it more obsolete-ier off the assembly line.

3 Likes

When I was in grad school my advisor had a printout of a BLASTP (protein sequence similarity search) run against a protein that was helpfully annotated as “This protein is novel”, which it may have been at the time of its discovery, but a few years later on it had hundreds of matches.

1 Like

Been running that exact eMachine for about 15 years now for data acquisition in a small-engine test cell. Integrates flowmeter, dynamometer, and exhaust gas analyzer and spits out brake-specific fuel consumption and emissions in real time.

23 Likes

Thank you for proving their marketing hype for us. Now, get back to work!

3 Likes
5 Likes

what’s wrong with AGP?

1 Like
2 Likes

Windows Me!

6 Likes

AWESOME! :smile:

That song was exactly where I knew it from.

2 Likes