This fantastic sci-fi animation looks like vintage 1960s stop motion but was done entirely in Blender

Originally published at: This fantastic sci-fi animation looks like vintage 1960s stop motion but was done entirely in Blender | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Yeah, Worthikids! His stuff is awesome. Check also his Miniseries “Bog Top Burgers” out.

4 Likes

That’s better than seven out of ten shows on the cartoony/kid media (available) channels. Give these folks money! always amazed with what can be accomplished with Blender…

2 Likes

Very cool. Captain Yajima is giving off a strong Laurie Anderson vibe, and really, what more could you ask for.

5 Likes

I’ve watched this several times and I still have no idea how they did this in Blender and so perfectly captured so much of low budget, tv, stop motion animation with it - the jerkiness of the animation, the physicality of the models and sets, the way the camera behaves… It’s amazing.

The software has become more and more impressive in recent years (to the point where it rivals a lot of paid software), and what people are doing with it is hugely impressive as well.

2 Likes

Yes, “Bigtop Burgers” is great!
Also watch his “How To Make A Cartoon (Blender Grease Pencil Tutorial)” to get a sense of what working with Blender is like.

Oh, interesting, they’re actually using a number of techniques specific to stop motion animation for this, e.g.:

1 Like

This really is great! It’d be unfortunate if it’s only a one off, I’d be super interested in the continuing adventures of this crew.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.