This horrific close-up of an ant's face is freaking people out

Originally published at: This horrific close-up of an ant's face is freaking people out | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Considering that ants face it’s probably a really good thing we can’t see much of the world around us. Ignorance is bliss in some cases

2 Likes

Kind of a weird shape that makes it look like it has a nose. The colored hairs near the mouth make it look like teeth too!

Is that really only 5x? Not 50x? I have a 10x magnifier and pretty sure it wouldn’t produce said results (granted it isn’t on a camera.)

4 Likes

There’s a kinda of pareidolia issue with this ant face horror response

Here’s another similar micro-photo where the antennae ‘sockets’ and real compound eyes are somewhat better sorted out

15 Likes

Calling it a “face” is a stretch. It’s the top of the head. The real “face” is perpendicular to this image.

This image is a face only in the same sense as the grouchy koala coffee maker face.

7 Likes

This is actually illustrative of why I can’t stand modern horror and sci-fi/fantasy design. This is simple, clean and horrifying. Transformers, Stranger Things baddies and DC villains, for instance, are all so over complicated and unnatural that they just look really artificial. I realize it makes for good fx reels, but to me it’s just distracting and overthought. Add in all the layers of smoke and flying debris and I may as well be looking through a curtain.

Like, wtf is actually happening here?

3 Likes

Okay so they’re really really angry and also quite small.

Sorry, but this is the face (frons to be pedantic about it). Definitely not the top of the head. Jaws at the bottom, antennae at top, eyes out of frame although the medial ocellus is visible at top.

Maybe I’m biased from thousands of hours of looking at insect faces under a microscope, but it looks cute

6 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

Yeah…not what most people would call a face.

Face:

Not face:

I’m with you. But if we’re going to translate from technical terms to lay terms, we should at least be accurate. The other view (literally face-on) of the ant was what could accurately be described as a face.

Again, the picture is the same orientation as your “face” image, just slightly from profile and zoomed in. This is not in any way showing the top of the ant’s head
The antenae connect between the mouth and the eyes, near where our nose would be

2 Likes

OK, I finally see it. You’re right. I couldn’t see the eyes, and thought they were below the antennae, not above them.

<—derp

back_off_scientist_ghostbusters

4 Likes

yoink. I’m stealing that gif

3 Likes

that’s just plain bazaar

those are not eyes at the base of the fallacies (antennas)…

Ironically, though, on a person the frons is what you see in the not-face image.

1 Like

Everything I know about ants came from this:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.