This indistinct blob is supermassive star Betelgeuse

What’s the difference between the light of sarcasm and the light of irony? Do they show up differently on a spectrograph?

6 Likes

It’ll make a heck of a light show, but the chances of it happening in our lifetimes is rather minute.

3 Likes

Astronomical time is second only to Valve time when it comes to the definition of “soon”.

4 Likes

Indistinct blob? I thought you meant this:

5 Likes

That’s beautiful! But, uh, shouldn’t it be a bit more, you know, orange?

3 Likes

The sea and sun can sort of lighten the hair, so…

2 Likes

Soooo… Poor Orion is about to have the galaxy’s worst rotator cuff injury?

5 Likes

Both of them could blow up tomorrow and you won’t be around to witness it. (unless you’re a vampire and keep feeding regularly and avoid sharp wooden objects)

1 Like

“This indistinct blob”

Enough with the heavenly body shaming.

5 Likes

Right, but as long as it exploded any time before the end of Innocent X’s papacy, we’re good to go!

4 Likes

Scanned both with my Little pony wrist computer. It say’s the light of sarcasm is hurtier.

6 Likes

And lo, the Wrath of the Lord did lay waste to the world, in holy and righteous retribution for great naughtiness that was committed 640 years ago, for the Lord is Just, but not very timely.

10 Likes

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe… attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion…”

6 Likes

What we have gained from 30-odd years of improving resolution in Betelgeuse imaging: larger and fuzzier portrayals of the same essential blurriness.
Betelgeuse does not do ‘fine detail’.

1 Like

Exactly! Science, you’ve had 30 years, you bunch of slackers! Consider that in the 200,000 years of human existence before that we’d managed to go from a dot in the night sky to … a dot in the night sky.

4 Likes

My Chuck Norris action figure is hurtier than your little pony wrist computer. Especially when he’s wearing Barbie’s pink dress.

2 Likes

I read a little further since I posted my first comment, and now know that a few stars are indeed big enough to show as a disk at interstellar distances. I have nothing of any further use to add besides - wow, that’s a big star!

5 Likes

I would say so. Wield your power wisely (and always wear safety goggles)

(Now I am feeling nostalgic for my GI Joe doll action figure from 1975 who’s hair fell out in patches I assume because of the agent orange). :cry: Sweet dreams manly prince.

6 Likes

Now I’m actually crying, waht is WRONG with me? heheh

2 Likes

(>’.’)> Hugs!

2 Likes