What was the mystery object in space that blocked the light of a star for more than six months?

Originally published at: What was the mystery object in space that blocked the light of a star for more than six months? | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The scientific term for that is “space turd”, we were way overdue for one.

10 Likes

Headline asks, I’ll answer:

Your Mom.

18 Likes

The WIT in the name of this stands for “What Is That”.

6 Likes

Wait, they think this huge thing had a terrestrial origin?

17 Likes

Given gravitational lensing of light can one bend the light sufficiently to destroy the image entirely? (i dunno total internal gravitational lensing or TIGL? (“That’s reflection you @#$!”)) Anyway, prefix the whole effect with “dark” that’s what’s popular these darksome daze [wink]

3 Likes

Its as yet unidentified companion was whimsically described as a ‘giant, hairy, space potato’

12 Likes

No answers, but good discussion

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s aliens but … it’s aliens

10 Likes

The obvious answer is Azathoth

10 Likes

Of course it’s aliens. It’s always aliens.
Stupid sexy aliens.

6 Likes

Goddammit Voyager II!

3 Likes

Goddamned super sexy aliens from the planet ultra sexy planet blocking sexy times. Ohhh yeah.

1 Like

“Hello wonderful person!” I subscribe to Anton’s channel.

1 Like

Oh, so that’s what the light switch in the garage goes to.

11 Likes

Took me a while to grasp the math and celestial mechanics here that says it has to be super massive.

1 Like

Probably astrophage

1 Like

Can you imagine if it was aliens, though? We could construct some much more powerful device to beam them a signal, and then 50 millennia later…you know, only about ten times the length that’s elapsed since people first started writing on tablets…our descendants if they still exist might hear something back. So you can see why despite the lack of evidence people would be excited to suppose that, it would be amazing not to be so alone in the universe.

2 Likes

“New phone who dis”

7 Likes

It’s clear that whatever object eclipsed the distant star is huge—much bigger than the star itself.

Just like the moon is the same size as the sun in order to block it out?

4 Likes