Scientists finally observe the actual "spaghettification" of a star

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/15/scientists-finally-observe-the-actual-spaghettification-of-a-star.html

5 Likes

Personally, I prefer my stars al dente.

7 Likes

That animation doesn’t leave much room for fantasies of traveling through a black hole.

1 Like

Do black holes eventually suck in enough stuff so they transform into something else? Or do they just get bigger and bigger until they eventually spaghettify the Milky Way?

1 Like

I have already seen the spaghettification of a Star (Wars) franchise…

9 Likes

It sure happened to Clint Eastwood.

4 Likes

ds9-jake-wormhole

4 Likes

It’s only spaghettification at the point that the star’s diameter is reduced to between 1.5 and 2.8 mm.

It’s the intermediate stage between vermicellification and capellinification.

11 Likes

(1) I am not sure this is an event anyone wants a front-row seat to, and (2) I hope they didn’t pay extra for those tickets, because 215 million light years is one helluvan orchestra pit.

I think everything would have to be much more tightly packed for that to happen–I think the most current theory is that, overall, they (very slowly) evaporate by means of Hawking radiation.

2 Likes

That animation reminds me of the SSP cars from ancient times. One good tug and the black hole shoots across the universe.

3 Likes

I recently learned that if the sun were to get swapped with a black hole of the same mass, Earth would merrily continue to orbit the black hole in exactly the same way. It would get a bit chilly, of course.

Mandatory, I guess.

“Dude. Let the star go first.

So I missed the bucatinification?

[disappointed]

1 Like

The initial shape (assuming a vortex) would be Fusillification. “It was a million in one shot doc”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.