This is every Trader Joe’s employee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/18/this-is-every-trader-joes-employee.html

5 Likes

Those are some suspiciously tattoo-free arms for a Trader Joe’s cashier.

29 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with “Show full post”

She forgot to do the part where they answer the “Where is the …” question with “Oh, that was your favorite? Sorry, we don’t carry that anymore. I don’t know when it will be back.”

Also, the comments link does not appear when using AdBlock. When I paused it, then the comments link shows up. Is this a new way to discourage ad blocking?

6 Likes

Like anyone, Trader Joes employees get burned out. She portrays the typical TJ’s employee, year one. By year five they are more like any standard grocery automaton. Even the folks handing out free samples (another sad victim of COVID) are less than exuberant at my local TJ’s. And that’s fine by me. Lemme get my cheese and cookies and ravioli and I’ll be on my way.

5 Likes

It’s a cult in which I don’t belong.
My sister-in-law is a member though.
When she visits she buys stuff that we
don’t want and are never going to use
even though we’ve already got some that’s
not “Joes” branded.
It’s a store that is completely full of “Safeway Select.”

Cultists don’t see that though.

1 Like

Oh God, Aldi’s too. I’m like, “so these are rebranded Publix products in smaller packages. Why is this better?”

3 Likes

For balance and a fuller range they also need the angry manager who yanked the store phone away from a helpful, friendly employee to start yelling at me that the thing I liked was shipped to them by mistake and the person who put it on the shelves should have known better and they wouldn’t ever have it again and he was sick of hearing about it…

I got the impression I wasn’t the first person to ask.

8 Likes

I’ll never forgive them for discontinuing the salt and pepper blister peanuts.

I was convinced the statements were monitored and part of some sort of incentive program.

3 Likes

Trader Joe’s is owned by Aldi’s.

2 Likes

Yes but also no.
Trader Joe’s is owned by Aldi Nord, Aldi (in America) is owned by Aldi Süd.
The brothers split up the business.

17 Likes

I’ve noticed a many of perishable items at Trader Joes tends to have a relatively short shelf life. I often pass on buying bread since the best by date tends to be the next day.

2 Likes

The ending is spot on.

Now if only TJ’s would stop discontinuing the amazing, life-changing products they get me hooked on (RIP unpopped popcorn kernels)

3 Likes

Mrs Peas came home with a bag of these recently. They were pretty amazing. No idea where she got them, though.

https://nuts.com/snacks/corn-nuts/half-popped.html

ETA: Ok, that stupid video almost made me cry, so you better like this comment!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s kind of how bread works. Bakeries sell day old bread for like 75% off.

2 Likes

That is why you sometimes see Joe’s pralines at Aldi’s in Germany but not in the US, I guess.

1 Like

Yep. Two different branding schemes, and here in the US Aldi stores are considered a discount grocery, while Trader Joe’s is a wonderland. Part of that social capital is left over from when Trader Joe’s was a weird little niche store that sent out weird booklets about their foods for sale.

6 Likes

I’m not talking about store bakery bread, which you’re right, bakery bread does have a shorter shelf life, I’m talking about the bread that’s akin to Aunt Millie’s or Pepperidge Farms, and even the bagels, which tend to have a longer shelf life than store bakery bread. But it’s not just the bread, other perishables at Trader Joes, like their dairy products tend to have a shorter shelf-life too. The heavy cream is a good deal, but there’s only a few days to use it.

1 Like