This is not a color photo but rather an astonishing optical illusion

I’m tired of “low pass” filters. The world looks better without them.

4K and HDR are where it’s at.

3 Likes

What, you don’t want to walk around squinting at stuff?

I agree. In fact, I’m obsessed with getting my hands on a $5000 graphics card so I can make this stuff in high resolution (I up-scaled the hell out of this to achieve 4K, but that’s just not the same): Now in 4K: Experiments in the Smooth Transition of Zoom, Rot, Pan, and Learning Rate in Text-to-Image Machine Learning Imagery on Vimeo (you might not have to squint, but you might just want to close your eyes).

3 Likes

For certain values of “full spectrum”, yes.

2 Likes

But, like, isn’t color itself an illusion? Who knows what colors everyone else is seeing…

5 Likes

It’s a colored picture.

2 Likes

Those images remind me of a short discussion on this by Wendy Carlos on her website: Wendy Carlos ColorVision1

I have no recollection of how I landed on that page but it’s kind of fun to see what’s old is new again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I keep thinking this erupted from some evolutionary process… something that allowed primates to better pick out threats and benefits from a distance. Painting your target.

Not as astonishing as the optical illusion that makes a bunch of coloured pixels on a screen look like it’s actually pictures and text.

1 Like

Fake hues.

5 Likes

News flash: If you add color to a black and white picture, you can see the colors you added.

5 Likes

Better Resolution

2 Likes

Works weird if buzzed.
Works good if drunk.

Well no kidding. It’s been known for many, many decades that the human has a much higher bandwidth for luminance than it does for color. Color television, invented back in the 1930s or so, took advantage of that fact. Yes, these are color photos, which is what you get when you intersperse a few colored pixels in a black and white photo.

1 Like

If you add color in any form to a black and white image, it is now a color image, not an optical illusion. Maybe it is because I worked in the pre-desktop publishing era of publishing, including color separations and printing (etching, really) straight to plate, that image didn’t look color, but like a color grid overlay on black and white, remarkably like the moire pattern you’d get if you mis-aligned the color separation plates by just a bit. Trust me, after getting yelled at for a mis-aligned color plate that made it to print, you notice that sort of thing really fast.

1 Like

So kind of like the dot screens in older comic books

These are like the color equivalent of chiptunes.

The general idea of music is there, and they can be pleasant to listen to for a time, but there’s a limited range.

I just happened to be reading about chroma subsampling. What is amazing is that you can halve the bandwidth needed by simply reducing the spatial density of color information and hardly be able to notice the difference.

The surprising thing about the effect posted here is not that the color spreads, but that our brains stop the color from spreading where needed. Look at how well our brain colors the green shirts right up to the edges but not past the edges.

2 Likes

I think it makes a lot of sense when you consider that your brain’s job is to take a maddening chaos of electromagnetic waves of different frequencies and convert that into things like “shirts”. There must be all kinds of bizarre stray information in any given thing you look at.

2 Likes

For the same reason many analog and digital video formats have 1/4 the resolution for color channels as luminosity.

2 Likes

The human eye has high color acuity for ~5° and low color sampling over the rest of visual space because of the concentration of cones in the fovea. This means if you look at the image close up, you see colored lines on grayscale, but if you look at the full image it looks like a field of color. That’s just how vision works.

Flowers aren’t a continuous color, but discrete concentrations of pigment scattered throughout the petals. If you look at it through a microscope that is clear, but we don’t say its an illusion that normally the whole petal looks like its the color of the pigments.

Now for the last time, please get off my lawn

5 Likes